Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Want to save money with your smartphone? (Free 5-day course!) and more...



Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

Want to save money with your smartphone? (Free 5-day course!)

save-money-smartphone-PINTEREST

Are you looking for creative ways to stretch your income and maximize your budget each month?

If so, I’m super excited to share that you can now sign up for my FREE 5-day e-mail course on How to Save Money With Your Smartphone!

In this course, you’ll learn about simple, quick ways to save money using some of my favorite smartphone apps. The best part is that you can save a pretty significant amount of money in less than 15 minutes per day!

Go here to sign up for How to Save Money with Your Smartphone.

    
 

Choosing joy… and extra coffee!

Choose Joy... and extra coffee!

I had planned to go to bed early last night and then unexpected thing after unexpected thing happened which meant I went to bed way later than I had planned… So then I woke up later than I would have liked this morning (because I am working hard to make sleep a priority so I let myself sleep in some).

I felt tired and behind, the kids were already up and snapping at each other, and I wished I could just crawl back into bed. But I needed to get the kids fed and out the door for camp and I needed to get on with my other responsibilities for the day.

So I have a choice: I can go through my day snapping at everyone, feeling stressed, and complaining about being tired. Or, I can choose to be grateful for the sleep I got, choose to be thankful for the opportunity to be flexible, and choose to embrace the moment right in front of me.

I’m going to choose the latter. And also, I think I might choose some extra coffee, too. 😉

Let’s choose joy today — no matter what our circumstances or struggles are. They don’t have the power to ruin our attitude.

{The banner was a gift from Mandy at Happy Hoot Parties. I adore it!}

    
 

A baseball, a broken window, and the best way to break free from guilt & shame

A baseball, a broken window, and a mother's love

I heard the crash.

It almost sounded like a gunshot.

I knew something had broken. Possibly a window. Possibly worse.

Silas was outside and my mother’s intuition knew that it wasn’t good. I immediately went to see what had happened… even though I was a little scared to see what it was.

He met me at the bottom of the stairs, before I had a chance to investigate. His head was down, his voice quivering, “Mom, it’s really b-a-d.”

I could tell he was really upset. Shame was written all over his face.

He had done something bad and he felt terrible about it.

He pointed to the large window above our front door and I saw the big hole his baseball had left.

Instead of frustration, I instantly felt compassion. It had been an accident. He had been throwing his baseball against the garage door and it had ricocheted off the door and hit the window and busted right through it.

Was he throwing it too close to the window? Possibly. Was he being a little careless? Maybe.

But he knew that he had caused damage and he felt so upset about it. He wanted to make it right, he was extremely apologetic, and felt very repentant over his actions.

This was not the time for harsh words or lectures. Instead, I wrapped my arms around him and told him that I loved him, that I wasn’t upset with him, and that it could easily be fixed.

I talked to him about how I was grateful no one had gotten hurt, I was glad it was our window, and how this would be a reminder to be more careful with baseballs in the future.

A baseball, a broken window, and a mother's love

He still looked scared and upset, so I asked him, “Want to know what I did when I was 17?” And then I proceeded to tell him the story of when I accidentally crashed our family’s van into the front of the garage — permanently damaging some of the brick and requiring a lot of creativity by my dad to patch up the area with extra trim.

I was upset at myself for months over that accident. I replayed it over and over in my head again — wishing I wouldn’t have been careless, wishing my reflexes would have kicked in faster, wishing I just wouldn’t have been driving that day. It was very embarrassing — especially since I felt I was old enough that I shouldn’t have made a dumb mistake like that.

But last week, when Silas broke the front window, I was grateful for that seemingly “dumb” mistake. It gave me the ability to be more compassionate with my son and to remember the shame I felt over a careless action.

Earlier this week, I shared the story in our Financial Peace University class (we just started facilitating the course with a small group of friends). One of the class participants was sharing how they were so frustrated with themselves over some “stupid” financial mistakes they had made. They wished they could go back and re-do the last few years and not make the same decisions.

I encouraged this individual by reminding them of three things:

  1. We all make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make us failures; they make us human. There is no such thing as a person who hasn’t experienced failure or setbacks or made mistakes that cost them in some way or another.
  2. Carrying guilt accomplishes nothing. There is never anything good that comes from carrying around guilt over our mistakes. Remind yourself of what the truth is when you want to beat yourself up over your failures.
  3. Making mistakes makes us more compassionate. Just like I was able to be more compassionate toward Silas because of my own garage door accident, so the mistakes you make will give you the ability to have more empathy and understanding toward others in your life.

So, instead of beating yourself up over the mistakes you’ve made, remember that we’re all human, replace the guilt with the truth, and look for opportunities to extend grace and kindness toward others when they make mistakes.

It will not only allow you to move on from the shame and guilt, but you never know how your compassion toward another in the midst of their own dark place might be the hope they need to keep moving forward when they want to give up.

Your turn: Tell us about a mistake you made in your life & how you’ve moved on from it in a healthy manner.

    
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.