Friday, May 6, 2016

Why I Stopped Hustling, and Why I Wish I'd Done It Sooner and more...



Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

Why I Stopped Hustling, and Why I Wish I’d Done It Sooner

Rest is the new hustle

“Do you feel like the time you spent hustling was necessary to get where you are, or do you wish you hadn’t hustled so much?” – Dawn on Twitter

I’ve received this question from SO many people. Many of you have told me that you feel that you can’t afford to stop hustling, since you’re in the beginning stages of starting up a business or dream.

Here’s the thing, though: While I do recognize that the many years spent hustling now allow me the ability to slow down and have a year of rest, I really wish I had learned to stop hustling much, much sooner in my blogging career.

I have always and will always be honest with my community here, but this topic is something I haven’t been ready to fully share about until now. Here’s the truth — the real, hard-to-admit truth in complete authenticity and transparency.

Last year was a very, very difficult year for me in so many ways. I remember about halfway through the year, my friend Casey Graham was in town and invited me to have coffee with him. He told me he wanted to pick my brain, but at the very beginning of us sitting down for coffee, he asked me a question that hit me like a ton of bricks…

“Crystal, what are you excited about right now?”

I sat there in silence for a really long time, and I finally replied, “Honestly, nothing. Right now in this season of my life, I am just putting one foot in front of the other. I don’t feel like I’m supposed to quit what I’m doing, but it’s very hard to keep going.”

I couldn’t get that question out of my mind for the next couple of months, but with everything being so busy and chaotic, I just kept pushing on — almost with a martyr-like mentality, as if this was my station in life that I had been called to regardless of the lack of joy I felt.

Then I had my surgery, and the recovery was much more challenging that I ever expected it to be. As I was sitting there in my post-surgery funk, I had zero motivation. I was so frustrated and kept beating myself up over how exhausted I was.

This all came to a head when I was at a speaking event for a MOPS conference in Indiana a few weeks later. I realized just how worn out I was when I was barely able to function or remain standing after my second talk at that event.

When I went to South Africa, I was able to get away from the hustle and was completely offline a lot of the time I was there. In those quiet moments far away from the life that had been wearing me down, God worked on my heart.

I got to a place where I decided I was ready to be done, to give it all up, and to walk away from everything. I felt like maybe it was what I was supposed to do, and I was very ready to do it.

We returned from the trip, and the next couple of weeks were crazy. I had a book to launch, which was very hard to push through. There were also some huge things that happened behind the scenes in the business — things that I can’t talk about for personal reason. For weeks and weeks, I could barely think about anything else. I couldn’t focus on the business, even on the day of my book launch.

God took all of this and used it to break me and get me to a place where I was ready to stop chasing and hustling — to that place where I was able to say, “God, it’s Yours.” Instead of putting my worth in my online presence, productivity, and business accomplishments, I had to learn how to rest in my identity in Christ.

I made a decision to step back and stop hustling, even if it meant completely walking away from all of it. Instead, we were able to make some major changes in the business that allowed me to take a year of rest, step back, stop hustling, and continue with my business without wearing myself out.

Are you hustling to the point of exhaustion? If so, here are some of my thoughts on choosing to stop hustling…

1. Hustling is exhausting.

It can ruin your health, and it can ruin your relationships. In the process of hustling, I lost all of my joy, excitement, and creativity. I let other people make me feel obligated to take my business to the next level, and I felt like a failure if I didn’t meet those expectations. I let all of those other voices dictate my business decisions — that ultimately affected all aspects of my personal life, as well.

I now realize that it’s okay to keep things smaller. I want to be okay with not growing — with impacting fewer people at a deeper level, and with having smaller numbers and not exhausting myself.

Instead of asking what will take our business to the next level and make more money, I am now learning to ask myself what is best for me and my family during this season.

2. Hustling does not equal productivity.

I realize now that I was doing SO much hustling that was just busy work — things that were using up my time and energy without producing any results or joy. I think busy work will look different for every person in every season. I encourage each of you to reflect on and decide for yourself which of your priorities are just busy work, and which are productive for you professionally and personally.

Busy work was keeping me from blogging, from my family, and from being able to take care of myself. I had to start saying NO on a regular basis, and it was a really hard thing to learn how to do.

Here are just a few of the many things I’ve been saying no to:

  • I’ve said no to almost every single interview and business opportunity I’ve been offered over the past few months. With every single request or opportunity that comes up, I ask myself if it will give me joy and impact the bottom line. I say no to 98% of the offers I receive. The few things I choose are well worth my time and energy, and I am super excited about something when I choose to say YES to it.
  • I said no to being CFO. I was feeling so weighed down by trying to manage all of the strategy and finances of the business. I was looking at the numbers every single month and having to be the one to carry all the weight of those numbers. I kept feeling like I needed to do it, because I was the only one who could do it the right way. I have now realized and accepted that this is simply not the case, and I have been able to delegate this responsibility. I feel so much freedom from this burden being lifted off of my shoulders.
  • I’ve said no helping promote other peoples’ products. This has probably been the hardest one for me. I have had to say no to a lot of dear, dear friends over the past few months, and it hasn’t been easy. I remember what it was like starting out in the beginning. I want to help my friends as they’re getting started and be a part of their exciting projects. As much as I want to help and be a blessing, I have realized that this is an area I have to learn to say no in more often. I have often overworked, overburdened, and exhausted myself in the process of trying to help every single person who is starting out and needs my help.
  • I’ve said no to much of the management of my team. I was managing too many people, and sending way too many e-mails. I had to step back and let some of the other people on my team help manage other projects, people, and situations. This has given me so much more freedom, time, and space to focus on other areas of my life and business.

With all of these changes and more, this year has already been so incredible. I feel my joy returning. I am enthusiastic and energetic about blogging, my body feels well-rested, my soul feels nourished, and I am enjoying being able to dwell in the quiet moments with myself and my family. Slowing down has been the best thing I’ve ever done.

I want all of you to learn from my mistakes, and I challenge you to try to stop the hustle from the very beginning.

I encourage you to focus on the few things that will make the biggest impact and bring you the most joy. I think it is so much better to have a smaller platform, earn less money, and have more joy than it is to have a great big platform, have a huge following, but have no joy in the process. We don’t have to buy into the lies that hustling will get us where we need to go.

    
 

Save on Dove personal care products + enter to win a $100 Walgreens gift card

WAG_Dove_MothersDay_Asset1[1]

With Mother’s Day being just around the corner, Dove wants to help you celebrate the important women in your life with their limited edition beauty bars that have words of encouragement engraved on them.

Walgreens is also offering several different promotions during the month of May to help you save on special Dove products for mom:

Through May 31, you can get 2,000 Balance Rewards Points with a $10 purchase of select Dove products. And from May 15 through May 21, you’ll be able to pair this promotion with a buy one, get one 50% off sale for even more savings! Be sure to check your 5/1/16 coupon inserts from the local newspaper for $1/1 coupons for Dove Beauty Bars and Dove Body Wash.

WAG_Dove_MothersDay_Asset2[2]

With all of these great savings offers, you should be able to score some really great deals on these Dove products:

  • Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash – Nourish your skin with a rich lather and even more of our gentlest cleansers.
  • Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo – Get touchably smooth hair that is easy to manage, without excess residue.
  • Dove Original Clean Deodorant – Clear protection in our original clean scent.
  • Dove White Beauty Bar – Dove contains 1/4 pure moisturizing cream and mild cleansers that leave skin clean, soft and smooth.

Note: You’ll need a Walgreens Balance Rewards Card to get these in-store deals.

Would you like to win a $100 Walgreens Gift Card?

I've got a $100 Walgreens gift cards to give away! To enter to win, just head over to this post on my Facebook Page and leave a comment sharing which Dove product you would buy and who you would buy it for. I'll choose a winner from the comments to win a $100 Walgreens gift card!

{This post was underwritten by Lunchbox. Read my disclosure policy here. See the giveaway rules here.}

    
 

4 Ways Teachers Can Earn Extra Money This Summer

earn extra money

Guest post from Sarah of The Orthodox Mama:

The days are getting longer and warmer, the kids are getting restless, and teachers are beginning to dream of beach getaways. That can only mean one thing — summer vacation is nearly here!

I have been a middle school teacher for the past 10 years and absolutely love it. However, until I started teaching, I had no idea just how much teachers looked forward to summer vacation, too!

After nine and a half months of working overtime, teachers certainly deserve some relaxation!

If you are like me, though, you could also use some extra cash in your bank account. Summers can be a great time for teachers to earn a little (or a lot!) of money to help them reach their financial goals.

Here are 5 ways teachers can earn money over the summer:

1. Work for Your District

One of the best ways to earn extra money is to work extra hours at a job you already have. For teachers, this means seeking additional work within your own district.

Many schools offer summer school programs to provide enrichment or remediation for students over the vacation. These programs generally involve shorter hours (often just half a day), an hourly wage that beats most retail jobs, and an opportunity to interact with students in a different environment.

In addition, sometimes schools seek teachers to help develop curriculum or research best practices during the summer months.

You can also get creative. I have a friend who works for the district each summer painting classrooms. She works about four hours a day for five weeks and earns a great paycheck.

2. Tutor Privately

Teachers can also put their knowledge and skill set to work by offering private tutoring during the summer months. Many parents want their children to continue learning during the summer and will pay well for it!

I have been tutoring children for the past ten years. I have solicited clients on my own, worked for tutoring companies, and tutored through my school. In my experience, I have found the most success with upper-level math tutoring, SAT/ACT prep, and editing essays for college admissions.

If you are going to tutor in your home, I would recommend starting out with clients that you know. However, if you tutor in the evenings when a spouse can watch the children, you can meet a the local library or another neutral location.

Tutoring rates vary dramatically depending on the area (I’ve made anywhere from $14-$50 an hour), so do some research to see what is typical for your community. You can advertise through Facebook, Craigslist, or even through a flyer at the library.

3. Teachers Pay Teachers

If you are a teacher, you may have hundreds of dollars just sitting in your filing cabinet or on your computer. Teachers Pay Teachers is an online store that connects educators with products created by other educators. After all, wouldn't you rather help out a fellow teacher than line the pockets of textbook companies?

Last year I began searching for ways to earn some passive income — money that could be gained for an indefinite period of time from a small amount of work done once. Teachers Pay Teachers perfectly fits this mold. I already had worksheets, quizzes, literature units, games, etc. that I had created over my years teaching middle school. I simply had to update/ revise them, add some graphics, and add them to my Teachers Pay Teachers store. I spent roughly 1-2 hours updating my material, and then it can earn money for years!

4. Run a Summer Day Care

Running a summer day care is an excellent way for teachers to earn some additional money. Working parents are always on the lookout for quality, affordable childcare, creating an almost endless demand for the service. In particular, parents of school-aged children who don't have to find childcare during the school year will be looking for options during the summer months.

If you are considering starting your own daycare, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, you’ll need to research licensing laws in your state and become CPR and First Aid certified if you are not already.

Second, create a contract that clearly states your fee, your policies (what happens when you are sick, on vacation, or need to close for other reasons, etc?), and hours of business.

Next, decide on your method of advertisement. Will you use word of mouth, Craigslist, Facebook?

Finally, take a little time to determine the going rate in your area. You want to be competitive; however, you can also charge a bit more because you are a licensed teacher.

If you are a teacher trying to pay off debt, save up to buy a house, or trying to reach some other financial goal, be sure to take advantage of these summer months. With a little work, you can find a job that will help you reach those goals!

Sarah Wright is an Orthodox Christian, wife to The Philosopher, and mom to three little ones (6, 3, and 2). She is a full-time teacher and writes about faith, family, and frugal living over at The Orthodox Mama. In her free time she enjoys Mexican food, old movies, and curling up with a good book.

photo source

    
 

Brigette’s $57 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

After spending a frustrating amount of time trying to get my uncooperative computer to print coupons without success, I decided to postpone my Harris Teeter trip until this weekend. It wasn’t that great of a week there anyway! So I’m only posting my Aldi trip, which is by far the bulk of my grocery shopping this week. I will pull out a gallon of milk from the freezer to get us through until Saturday. Just giving you a full disclaimer here, because I will be spending a bit more than this on groceries this week. :)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Aldi

4 dozen Eggs – $2.76 (fantastic price!)

3 16-oz cartons Egg Whites – $5.97

3-lb bag Yellow Onions – $1.29

1 bag Romaine Hearts – $1.99

1 bag Mini Sweet Peppers – $1.29

1 bag Radishes – $0.99

1 carton Tomatoes – $1.49

1 3-lb bag Ground Beef Patties – $8.99 (these got put in the freezer immediately on returning home…and not taken out for the picture. Today was just not my day!)

1 pkg Pepperoni – $2.19

1 64-oz carton Almond Milk – $2.19

1 64-oz carton Orange Juice – $1.69

1 64-oz carton Coconut Milk – $2.79

1 32-oz carton Half & Half – $1.89

1 bunch Bananas – $1.31

1 Pineapple – $1.89

1 3-lb bag Mandarins – $3.49

1 3-lb bag Pink Lady Apples – $3.49

1 38-oz jar Ketchup – $1.49

1 8-oz Sliced Cheese – $1.79

1 8-oz block Swiss Cheese – $1.69

1 8-oz block Colby-Jack Cheese – $1.69

1 bag Chocolate Chips – $1.79

4 bags Hamburger/Hotdog Buns – $3.40

Also pictured: basket of fresh strawberries – a gift for my husband for Teacher Appreciation Week!

Total:$57.55

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Scrambled Eggs and Homemade Freezer Biscuits x 2

Cereal x 3

Oatmeal and Strawberries x 2

Lunches

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Apples, Carrots x 2

Peanut Butter/Banana Tortilla Wraps, Peppers

Fried Eggs on Toast, Oranges, Peppers

Leftovers x 3

Dinner

Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Chicken on the Grill (We are hosting a End-of-the-School Year Party. We’re providing the meat, buns, condiments and drinks. Others are bringing the sides and dessert.)

Chicken Gravy over Rice, Pineapple, Roasted Carrots

Pepperoni Rolls, Tossed Salad, Broccoli

Venison Roast in the Crockpot, Baked Potatoes, Garlic Mashed Cauliflower, Apples

Taco Salad, Fruit Salad

Leftovers x 2

    
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.