Friday, May 13, 2016

Has someone said shameful & hurtful words to you? Here are 3 things you should do… and more...



Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

Has someone said shameful & hurtful words to you? Here are 3 things you should do…

When you disappoint someone, do this...

I received a letter in the mail a few weeks ago, the likes of which I had never received before.

You see, I get letters from readers often, but this one wasn’t a letter to say thanks or to share a reader’s story or recommend a product or even suggest a different viewpoint.

Nope.

This anonymous letter was straight up blasting one of my kids and my parenting of this child in a very scathing way.

I’ve received lots of constructive criticism over the years. I delete negative comments and emails pretty much every day. I often have to block commenters who are unkind and ugly toward me or other commenters.

But this the letter called my child horrible names and was so utterly hateful and shaming that I immediately had my husband shred it lest my child see the terrible names they were being called.

I won't lie and pretend it didn’t bother me. Over the years, I have developed pretty thick skin for comments or disagreements that are directed to me, but you bring my kids into it and this Mama Bear gets fired up.

In fact, my first thought was, “How DARE you write in and scream hateful things about my child!!” {Yes, that may not have been the most gracious thought, but I’m just being truthful here!}

Instead of letting myself stay there all upset, I intentionally decided to do three things. And these three things helped me to process through this situation in a much healthier way than just being angry and upset.

The next time you are in situation where you are the recipient of shameful and hurtful words, I wanted to share these three things I did with you in hopes that maybe they’d help you, too:

1. Don’t Let Other’s Words Define You

When you receive hurtful and derogatory comments, you can instantly go to a place of shame. It is very easy to start thinking you are not good enough, that you’ve failed, that you are a horrible person.

Here’s the truth, though: Other’s words only have power over us if we choose to allow them to. Their words might hurt. They might cut deep. They might sting. But they don’t have to define us.

In the case of this letter, I cannot base my parenting decisions upon what others think of me. I cannot let other’s frustrations with my parenting decisions be what determines how I’m parenting. Other people are not my parenting barometer.

God has uniquely gifted my husband and me to parent our own kids. We are responsible before God only for how we raise our kids. While we can learn from other parents and be inspired by other parents, ultimately, we are our own kids parents. No one else is.

So when someone — who is anonymous and who doesn’t know me at all — says I’m a terrible parent and calls my child names, that has no bearing on me as a parent. I reminded myself of this after I read the letter and chose to not let their scathing words define me as a mom.

2. Do Consider Their Perspective

While we shouldn’t let what other people say about us define us, there still may be truth in their words. And I believe it’s important to pay attention to what truths might be there that we need to consider.

Step back and really consider their words — not the way they were said or how they were delivered — but instead, just consider the words themselves and ask yourself, “Is there any truth or merit in what this person is saying?”

Did I do something that was hurtful? Did I say something that was unnecessary? Did I have an unkind attitude?

Just because someone says something that is hurtful doesn’t mean we should discount everything they said. I know in my life, some of the things people have said that have initially been hurtful, were actually words I needed to hear. They opened up my eyes to a flaw or blind spot or area in my life that I needed to work on.

One thing I’ve found helpful is to have people in my life who have earned the right to speak truth and then to process hurts with them. Read them the text or letter or email that was sent to you. Tell them exactly what someone said to you or accused you of and ask them to help you discern whether there is truth to what was said.

Many times, having an outside unbiased perspective on the situation can give us clarity that we wouldn’t have if we were just trying to process through the situation or hurtful words by ourself.When you disappoint someone, do this....

If you realize that you have made a mistake, admit it and own it. We all make mistakes and fail. Don’t pretend you have it all together or never make mistakes. Don’t pretend you are never at fault. Because sometimes, you are. 

I've been blogging for the last 11 years and believe me, I've failed many times. I've responded to comments ungraciously. There have been times I've returned snark with snark or tried to defend myself when I should have just stayed quiet. I've had to take posts down and make apologies and ask for forgiveness.

In the case of the accusatory letter, after reading it, I asked my husband to read it, too. I asked him for his perspective on it. He immediately told me to completely disregard what was said as, in this case, there was no truth or merit to what the person said. Instead, it just felt like they were angry and upset and took it out on me for some reason. It was her issue, not mine.

Having his outside perspective helped me to have clarity about the issue that I may not have had on my own. 

3. Remember Your Personal Priorities

What’s going to matter 25 years from now? I often ask myself that when I'm trying to determine my priorities.

We can’t please everyone. We can’t make everyone happy. We can’t do all the things for all the people. And because of this, we will always end up disappointing people. 

I've had to accept that there will be others who are disappointed by what I do or what I don’t do, frustrated by what I say or what I don’t say, bothered by how I parent or don’t parent, irritated by what I blog, annoyed with my personality or videos or speaking style… and on and on it goes. I am only responsible for my own actions; I am not responsible for people’s reactions to my actions. 

I just can’t please everyone. In fact, I can’t please a lot of people. Who I am, what I blog about, what I believe, how I write, my personality… it’s just not for everyone. In fact, it’s not for a lot of people. And that’s completely okay.

What matters is that I focus on what my priorities are and that I embrace who God has called me to be. My priorities are different than your priorities. My parenting style is different than your parenting style. My writing style is different than other blogger’s writing styles. What I’m called to is different than what you’re called to.

I reminded myself of this after I read this critical letter. I went back to the truth: that I am uniquely called and gifted to be a mother to my own children. It’s not my responsibility to parent in a way that other people are telling me I should. It’s my responsibility to do what I know is right before God.

When I walk in confidence in my own personal priorities, I can have freedom not fear. When I embrace who God has called me to be, I can believe the truth about myself and my worth and value instead of giving into the lies of shame and insecurity.

    
 

How to Save on Groceries Without Using Coupons

How to Save Money on Groceries Without Using Coupons

Want to stretch your grocery budget, but hate using coupons? Check out this helpful article on How to Save on Groceries Without Using Coupons.

    
 

Brigette’s $74 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Aldi

16-oz Organic Quinoa – $2.99

Gluten-Free Bread – $3.99

Artisan Baby Lettuce – $1.99

Pineapple – $0.99

Crisp Rice Cereal – $1.39

Corn Flakes – $1.49

2 64-oz cartons Orange Juice – $3.38

2 16-oz pkgs Baby Carrots – $1.98

20-oz pkg Zucchini – $1.49

Cauliflower – $2.49

Gluten-Free Pasta – $1.69

2 Avocados – $1.38

2 dozen Eggs – $1.88

Mini Sweet Peppers – $1.99

2 pkgs Rice Cakes – $2.58

Bananas – $0.98

Mushrooms – $1.29

2 16-oz cartons Egg Whites – $3.98

Pretzels – $1.29

Milk – $2.57

Total: $42.01

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Harris Teeter

2 boxes Cookie Crisp – $4.00, used 2 $0.75/1 printable (doubled) – $1.00/2 after coupons

5 jars Bertolli Pasta Sauce (B2G3) – 5.38, used 2 $1.50/2 printable – $2.38/5 after coupons

1 large bag Shredded Coconut – $2.99

Shortening – $2.87

2 boxes Snickers Ice Cream Bars – $4.15, used 2 $1/1 printable – $2.15/2 boxes after coupons (treat for my husband :))

5 8-oz pkgs Chunk Cheese (B2G3) – $6.58

5 8-oz pks Sliced Cheese (B2G3) – $5.98

16-oz Heavy Whipping Cream – $2.67

64-oz Almond Milk – $2.00

64-oz Unsweetened Almond Milk – $2.00

32-oz Half & Half – $1.67

Total:$32.29

Grocery Total for the Week: $74.30

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Cereal x 3

Oatmeal with Fruit x 2

Eggs (Veggie Omelets for me) and Toast with Almond Butter x 2

Lunches

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Carrots, Fruit (my kids would eat this EVERY single day for lunch if I let them :)) x 2

Almond Butter on Rice Cakes, Mini Peppers, Oranges x 2

Leftovers x 3

Dinners

Spaghetti, Roasted Cauliflower, Crusty French Bread, Homemade Coconut Cream Pie

Chicken on the Grill, Tossed Salad, Pineapple

Taco Salad, Mexican Rice

Homemade Pizza and Breadsticks, Fresh Veggies with Dip, Chocolate Chip Ranger Cookies

Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes, Sausage, Eggs (Anyone else love breakfast for dinner?!)

Leftovers x 2

    
 

How to Teach Your Kids at the Grocery Store

How to Teach Your Kids at the Grocery Store

If you frequently go grocery shopping with kids in tow, you’ll find this article on How to Teach Your Kids at the Grocery Store super helpful!

    
 

Save Time and Money with a Supermarket Pick-Up Service

Title Image - Saving Time and Money with a Supermarket Pick-Up Service

Guest post from Megan of Prioritized Living

Having someone else do your grocery shopping? It sounds like a major luxury… right?

Instead of spending time alone or with small children in the supermarket, a friendly person takes care of your whole order and even packs it neatly into your car when you arrive to pick it up.

Even if the idea is appealing, you may be reluctant to try out a service that sounds pricey. However, our family actually saves time and money by occasionally using our supermarket's pick-up service.

How It Works

An increasing number of supermarkets across the country are offering these types of services. In our particular area, we have ShopRite from Home.

To use ShopRite from Home, I log onto the website, check current prices, and click the items I want to purchase. Then I can choose my pick-up date and time, include a brief note of additional instructions for my shopper if I wish, and submit my order.

When it's pick-up time, I head over to the store and park my car in one of the specially-marked spots by the entrance. There, I'm greeted by a friendly store employee who confirms my name and spending total, brings out my bagged groceries, and loads them into my trunk. A few minutes later, I'm at home unloading my groceries.

And yes, we do actually SAVE time and money! Here’s how:

1. We let the store handle our biggest shopping lists.

When there are big sales on our favorite items, it's time to stock up with a big haul at the supermarket. Dragging around carts brimming with a variety of canned goods and pantry staples is both time-consuming and physically draining.

But I don't have to spend the time and muscle to take advantage of big stock-up sales when the supermarket will do it for me! Instead of pushing around unwieldy carts and heaving clunky bags into my car, I rely on the friendly shopping helpers get all of my items, bag them up, and load them into my car for me. Then, my husband and I can quickly unpack everything at home.

2. We continue to use coupons.

Any coupon you can use in the store works with the pick-up service as well. With the pick-up service, I can still use store coupons, manufacturer coupons, and digital coupons loaded onto my store loyalty card.

When I'm greeted after parking at the store, the employee takes my coupons and rings them up for me inside. Then, while he or she is loading my purchases into the trunk, I've got time to scan my receipt to ensure that my order is correct, the prices look right, and my coupons all scanned (and multiplied) correctly.

3. We don't pay the service fee.

In our area, ShopRite charges a $10 service fee for its grocery pick-up service. I think that $10 is a pretty good deal if you're saving yourself the time of shopping for a particularly big haul or during stressful times. But I think NO service fee is even better.

How do we do it? Every week ShopRite runs promotions specific to its grocery and delivery and pick-up service that typically shave $5 to $30 off the cost of an order. There are usually three or four different promotion options in any given week, and there's almost always one that works for our family.

We might get an instant $10 off our order by purchasing $25 of discounted Thanksgiving products before the holiday.  There might be a $15 reward for spending $30 on sale-priced personal care and cleaning products. Just recently, we were able to save $25 just by hitting a $200 total at checkout time.

In almost every online shopping trip we've completed, I've used promotions on sale-priced items that we already use to recoup the cost of the service fee… and then some.

4. We don't over-spend on take-out and delivery.

Some weeks are just too busy or stressful for food shopping. We've had weeks when our family has all come down with bad colds or when we've just returned home from traveling to be greeted by an empty fridge.

When I was pregnant with my son and suffering from terrible morning sickness, my husband was overwhelmed with an important work project while taking on the lion's share of caring for our home and family.

At those times, we'd be tempted to spend a bundle on the convenience of restaurant foods. Grocery store-pick up service however gives a whole new meaning to take-out.

5. We don't even waste the car time.

Grocery store pick-up saves you the time of running around the store yourself, but there's still some waiting time while your coupons are being entered and your car is being loaded.

If we're able to pick up our groceries when there are no other customers present, the whole process takes about 5 to 10 minutes. If we really need to do a pick-up during the evening rush however, we might wind up being parked for up to 20 minutes.

Waiting time doesn't have to be wasted time though. While I'm waiting for my trunk to close on my purchases, I always have something to do. I get through a chapter of a book I'm reading, return a phone call, or even work on a blog post on my laptop. If I've brought my son along for the ride, we enjoy pointing out birds and singing favorite songs.

Do you use a grocery pick-up service? If so, do you have any other ways to save time or money? 

Megan Nye is a freelance writer, blogger, wife, and mom who loves to help busy people live their priorities. She offers practical advice on seizing control of your time, making smart money choices, and saving your home from the brink of chaos on her blog, Prioritized Living.

    
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.