Friday, June 20, 2014

Brigette's $36 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6 and more...

Money Saving Mom

pcwbanner10_msm

300x250fcartoon

Here's What's New

:: Brigette’s $36 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Walmart

3 bags of Frozen Broccoli @ $0.98 each – $2.94

1 gallon of Milk – $3.48

1 dozen Eggs (price-matched Walgreens) - $1.50

1 HUGE Cantaloupe (price-matched Aldi) – $0.99

1.91lbs Peaches @ $0.99/lb (price-matched Aldi) – $1.89

2 large heads Romaine Lettuce @ $1.67 each – $3.34

Total: $14.14 (I paid using a Walmart gift card I earned through Swagbucks – so $0.00 out-of-pocket for me!)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Walgreens

2 transactions of:

1 Colgate Total toothpaste – $3.00 plus tax – used $0.75/1 coupon from 06/15/22 insert

Total after coupons: $2.46 plus receive $2.50 register reward back – $0.04 MM after coupon and register reward

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Harris Teeter

3 32-oz cartons So Delicious Coconut Milk @ $1.50 each – $4.50, used 3 $0.55/1 any So Delicious product (doubles), $0.40 each after coupons

1 3lb package Jennie-O Frozen Turkey Burgers B1G1 @ $10.99 (rings up half price) – $5.50, used $0.75/1 package of frozen Jennie-O Turkey Burgers (doubles), $4.00 after coupons

2 50-oz jugs Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent @ $1.97 each (limit 2) – used $3.00/2 Arm & Hammer detergents, $0.47 each after coupons

2 Dial Hand Soap @ $1.00 each – used $1.00/2 Dial from the 06/15/14 insert – $0.50 each after coupons

3 packages of Old El Paso Taco Shells @ $1.25 each – $4.50, used $1.00/3 Old El Paso products, plus $0.60/3 Old El Paso evic, plus $0.60/3 Old El Paso Saving Star - $0.76 each after coupons

2 packages Hormel Compleats – $2.79, used 2 $1.00/1 Hormel Compleats printable, plus $1.00/1 Hormel Compleats evic - $0.21 MM after coupons

2 packages Fiber One Bars (it would have been cheaper for me to buy 4 of these, and 4 of the Nature Valley Bars, as Harris Teeter is running a 4 for $7 deal – I thought that I could mix and match the 2 kinds for 4 total and still get the sale price, but I didn’t) - $4.58 – used 2 $0.50/1 Fiber One Bars printable (doubles), plus $0.50/1 Harris Teeter evic, plus$0.50/1 Fiber One Saving Star - $0.79 each after coupons

2 packages Nature Valley Granola Bars – $4.58 – used 2 $0.50/1 Nature Valley printable (doubles), plus $0.50/1 Nature Valley evic, plus $0.50/1 Nature Valley Saving Star - $0.79 each after coupons

used $5.00 Register Rewards from Walgreens transactions

Total after coupons and sales tax: $9.41, plus receive $1.60 back from Saving Star

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

CVS (Yes, I realize this cereal isn’t that great for you. But I have yet to convince my husband of that in our 9 years of marriage. :) If I don’t buy it for him, he is going to go out and buy it himself and spend $3.99 a box… so when I find a decent deal, I stock up for him. Love you, Honey!!)

15 boxes of Kelloggs cereal @ $2.00 each – used  2 $1.00/2 select Kellogg’s cereal, 2 $1.00/3 any Kellogg’s cereal, 1 $1.00/2 Kellogg’s Krave cereal, 1 $1.00/2 any Kellogg’s cereal emailed to me from Kellogg’s Family Rewards - $24.00, plus receive a $10 gas card back

2 Right Guard Extreme Clear Deodorant @ $3.00 each – used 2 $2.00/1 Right Guard Extreme Clear from RP 06/15/14 insert – $2.00 plus receive $2.00 ECB back – free after coupons and ECB’s

1 Just the Basics liquid dish detergent – $0.99

1 Cheerios cereal – $2.48 – used $0.60/1 CVS coupon from the CVS coupon machine, plus $1.00/1 from cut from the back of a cereal box – $0.88 after coupons

Used $2 ECB from a previous week, plus $7.00 from a CVS gift card I earned from Swagbucks

Total after sales tax and coupons: $17.08, plus receive a $10 gas card and $2.00 ECB back (Looking at my receipt, I am not sure how I ended up at this amount. It seems the total should have been a little higher.)

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Local Farmer’s Market

Large Box of Summer Squash (about 30 lbs – we will eat what we can the next week or two, and then freeze the rest)

Total: $5.00

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Fresh Produce from a Friend’s Garden

Total: Free :) So thankful for generous friends!!

Weekly Total for all Groceries: $36.45 out-of-pocket (plus receive a $10 gas card, $2 ECB, and $1.60 back from Saving Star)

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Oatmeal x2, Smoothies (using frozen fruit), Eggs and Toast x2, Homemade Granola, Cereal

Lunches

PB&J Sandwiches/Cucumbers/Homemade Applesauce; Annie’s Macaroni and Cheese/Tomato slices/Peaches; Turkey Sandwiches/Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries; Leftovers x2; Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheese; Build-Your-Own Tossed Salad

Dinners

Tacos, Fresh Pico de Gallo, Green Beans, Cantaloupe

Venison Roast in the Crockpot, Baked Potatoes, Carrots, Butterhorns

Venison Gravy over Brown Rice (using leftover venison from last night’s dinner), Broccoli, Tomato Slices

Breakfast for Dinner (meatless) – Pancakes, Eggs, Hash browns

Turkey Burgers on the Grill, Cucumber Tomato Salad, Grilled Zucchini

Lasagna Casserole (I have cottage cheese I need to use up – I am going to make this with only 1/2lb of meat), Dill Bread, Sauteed Summer Squash

Classic Grilled Chicken, Italian Garlic Bread, Broccoli, Tomato Slices

Snacks

Zucchini Bread, Fruit, Granola Bars, Cucumber slices, Smoothies, Fruit

    

:: One Hour Freezer Cooking: Cowboy Beans, Spaghetti, & Energy Bites

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

Here’s a little peek into my recent One-Hour Freezer Cooking session

I browned a massive pan of ground beef and onions. And kind of chose a pan that was too small. Whoops!

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

While the ground beef was browning, I put everything in the crockpot for the Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans. These were so simple and easy to make!

 

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

And the ground beef was finally done. Yikes! I made a MESS on the stove!

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

I had planned to make Million Dollar Spaghetti, but I was running short on time and I didn’t want to turn on the oven because the house was already so hot, so I decided to just boil the noodles, add a jar of pasta sauce to some of the ground beef, and make spaghetti for dinner.

Er, maybe I was just lazy? Well, I’m going with the fact that the house was too hot to turn on the oven. Yup, that’s my story. :)

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

While everyone was getting dinner on their plates and getting situated at the table (which always seems to take a LONG time!), I dumped everything in a bowl for the Homemade Energy Bites.

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

And then I quickly rolled these in balls and stuck them in the freezer. Well, after we did a little taste-testing. ;)

Recipes Made:

    

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: It’s never too early to start teaching wise money management!

Teaching Wise Financial Money Management From a Young Age

I walked into our bedroom this morning and the above is what I saw.

My husband was patiently explaining to Silas how much cash to put into each of our cash envelopes and then having Silas count it out. It melted my heart to see father and son working together on our family’s finances.

Truly, I am so blessed to be married to a man who is committed to not only being wise and intentional in how we spend our money, but who is also committed to passing on money management skills to our children.

Oftentimes, people will ask us when they think you should start teaching your children about good money management. My answer? It’s never too early to start. It’s amazing what children pick up from a young age.

Talk to your children about sticking with a budget. Let them see you paying with hard-earned cash. Explain why you’re waiting to purchase something until you have enough money to pay for it.

Give them opportunities to earn and spend money. It’s never too early to teach them to be wise with their money. It’s an amazing gift to give your children that will benefit them for the rest of their lives.

And also? They can pick up some great math skills in the process!

    

:: I Paid Cash… and You Can, Too!

new car

A testimony from Sarah from SarahTitus.com

I’m guessing that by now, you've read a few articles about how a family saves up to pay cash for a car. I myself always see those stories and get excited!

Maybe you get excited about the possibility of doing this yourself, but secretly think, "There's no way I could do that. They are so much better off financially than me."

Well, I'm here to tell you that you CAN!

You see, I’m a single stay-at-home-mom with an $18,000 per year income, and even still, I saved up $7,000 to pay cash for my new-to-me car in just one year. No loans, no financial assistance… and no welfare checks.

During the year I was saving for a car and didn’t have one to drive, a few kind people from my church sacrificially played car rotation and let me borrow theirs for a short time. It was an extremely difficult time for me, but their generosity was a huge blessing.

I was able to save for an entire year without having to pay for insurance… and after the year was up, I had a cool $7,000 to put down on a new (to me) car.

My point is simple. If I can do it, anyone can!

Don’t talk yourself out of your ability to make something happen. As the saying goes “Where’s there’s a will, there’s a way” and boy was I motivated! I didn’t have family to help me, just the kindness of a few church members and my belief that God would provide for my needs.

If you’re stuck in a place where you feel trapped, like nothing will ever change, don’t lose hope. No matter what life throws at you, you CAN make it. I stand here to inspire you, to encourage you, and to tell you that hard work goes a long way.

I believe in you… and sometimes, that’s all we really need. Just knowing someone out there truly believes in us, and I do!

You can do it! Don’t give up on your dreams of living within your means, no matter what the situation.

Sarah is a stay-at-home mom of two wonderful children. Her passion is showing other women in practical ways, how to quit the 9-5 and be able to be home with their little ones as well. From homeless to well-off, this single debt-free mom is most known for her ability to live on $18k/year. Sarah loves encouraging others that dreams do come true if they are willing to consistently work for it. Follow her blog: Saving Money Never Goes Out of Style.

Have you saved up and paid cash for something — large or small? Submit your story for possible publication here.

    




Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.