Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Peek Into This Past Week (+ my 6 goals for this week) and more...

I shared this on Instagram this past week… What I wish people knew about having a child with special needs (things I’ve learned so far in 13 months)… It can feel lonely. The life of doctor’s appointments and testing and therapies and meds and ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

A Peek Into This Past Week (+ my 6 goals for this week)

I shared this on Instagram this past week…

What I wish people knew about having a child with special needs (things I’ve learned so far in 13 months)…

It can feel lonely. The life of doctor’s appointments and testing and therapies and meds and always having something you are concerned about can feel isolating. You see all these other children hitting milestones and excelling and parents talking about futures all while you are wondering if your child will ever walk or talk.

A lot of people are awkward. You get stares and glances but people often don’t engage. It’s more common that people look and then look away instead of coming up to you or saying something (or even just genuinely smiling). (It’s also very common that people will come up to us and gush about how cute Kierstyn is and not say one word about D — even if he’s right there.)

You are so proud of your child — and you wish people would take the time to really get to know them for who they are and not just see them for their diagnosis. You wish people would just come up and talk to you and interact with your child instead of avoiding you because it makes them uncomfortable.

You think a lot about the future. How will your child be treated in 8, 15, 25 years? Will they have friends? Will they be bullied or hurt? Will they ever get invited to things? Your heart breaks thinking of all they may not be able to do and how they might be treated.

There are days when it’s really hard. There are setbacks and discouragements. There are doctor’s visits and test results that are overwhelming and gut-punching.

But you wouldn’t trade any of it for the GIFT of being your child’s parent. You are fiercely and madly in love with them. You wish the whole world could know the joy that they bring and the blessing that they are. And you will shout from the rooftops and advocate like no one’s business to help others realize that your child has so much value and worth and anyone who doesn’t get to know them and love them is missing out.

She’s growing up so much!!

Jesse and I went to a dinner that the nonprofit I’m the board president of put on. It was SUCH a beautiful evening and I’m so honored and grateful to get to be part of this foster care nonprofit!

All this weekend, I was at a girls only camp with all of the girls in our youth group. It was a packed weekend (and quite a lot for this 7 1/2 months pregnant mama!) but also such a wonderful weekend getting to pour into the six girls in the small group I co-lead.

Afternoon crafts with my small group.

The camp was in Mentone, AL and it was a new-to-us campground that we loved!

We got to babysit for Champ yesterday while his mama worked. This is a blurry picture, but here’s how he and Kierstyn greeted each other.

These two are always busy together!

We all loaded up in the car and fit the three big kids in the back, three car seats in the middle, and the parents in front!

He’s talking so much more and when we took him for a wagon ride, he said: “I yike it!!” (“I like it” — it was so cute!)

Watching Jesse pour into this boy and his mama is one of the most heartwarming things ever. I thought I was so in love with him when we married over 19 years ago… but seeing him as a dad and foster dad has made me fall so much more in love!

My 6 Goals for Last Week

Personal Goals

Reading Goals

Business/Blogging Goals

  • Do a post on the books I chose to read in April.
  • Rewrite/edit chapters 7-9 of my next book.
  • Finish and submit devotional Proverbs31.org.

My 6 Goals for This Week

Personal Goals

Reading Goals

Business/Blogging Goals

  • Rewrite last chapter of book + conclusion.
  • Finish and submit devotional Proverbs31.org.
   
 

9 Books I Plan to Read in April

I know I’m way behind in getting this posted and it’s now almost halfway through April, but hey, better late than never, right?? 🙂

In previous years, I’ve picked a long list and big stack of books I want to read that year. I’ve found that I struggle to stick with that list because I always find so many other books I want to read and that initial list makes me feel kind of guilty that I’m not following through.

Instead of trying that approach again, I’m experimenting with something different in 2022: I’m going to set monthly reading goals. At the beginning of the month, I’ll pick a stack of books I want to read that month and I’ll focus on reading those books throughout the month.

This way, I can make room for the many new or new-to-me titles I discover throughout the year. Plus, I can pick fewer books to read on the months that I know there is a lot going on.

My Book List for April

Here is my book list for April and why I chose each title. (Note: Inclusion on this list does not mean I am recommending or endorsing the book as I haven’t read it yet! So read at your own discretion and look for my weekly book review post to hear my honest thoughts on each title!)

I Guess I Haven’t Learned That Yet

I’ve loved Shauna’s other books, so I am anxious to read this one — especially because I love the idea behind this book (the subtitle is, “Embracing New Ways of Living When the Old Ways Stop Working”) I already started the first few chapters and was drawn in and wished I could just sit all day and read it!

The Hard Good

So many people have suggested I read this book! I’m about halfway through it and can’t wait to finish it. It’s been really good so far!

A Love-Stretched Life

After flipping through this book when the publisher sent it to me, I realized it looked right up my alley so I added it to the top of my stack right away!

Embrace Your Almost

This book has been highly recommended by people I respect, so I can’t wait to dig into it.

Blank Canvas

I received a copy of this book in the mail from the publisher and the premise of it (a woman wakes up from a coma and has completely forgotten everything about her life) was intriguing enough that I immediately added it to my book stack for this month.

Waymaker

Ann Voskamp’s book, One Thousand Gifts, touched me deeply so I’m looking forward to reading this book — especially since I’ve heard it shares some of their adoption journey.

When Making Others Happy is Making You Miserable

I am a few chapters into this book and have heard from many that it’s a book they are very interested in and wanted me to read and review.

Forgiving Paris

This fiction book was highly recommended to me by multiple people. I’ve really enjoyed other Karen Kingsbury books in the past, so I can’t wait to dive into this.

Raising Emotionally Strong Boys

I’m a big fan of Sissy Goff’s book, Raising Worry-Free Girls, so I’m excited that there’s finally a counterpart book by her podcast co-host and counseling center co-director, David Thomas. I got to meet him when I recently did a podcast interview for their podcast, so I’m really excited to read this pre-release copy.

What are you reading in April?

   
 

Money Making Mom Book