Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Toddler Mom Hack: How To Make Mini Freezer Meals With No Extra Effort and more...

Guest post from Keri of Families & Finance: If your kid are anything like my kids, they eat ALL THE TIME! It's no secret that young children eat about every two hours. If you are in the throes of motherhood, you have probably wondered how in the world ...

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

Photobucket

Toddler Mom Hack: How To Make Mini Freezer Meals With No Extra Effort

Guest post from Keri of Families & Finance:

If your kid are anything like my kids, they eat ALL THE TIME!

It's no secret that young children eat about every two hours. If you are in the throes of motherhood, you have probably wondered how in the world they can fit all of that food into such tiny bodies. I sure have!

I have also wondered how I can get away from spending all of my time in the kitchen slicing apples, doling out PB&J's, and cleaning up the inevitable mess. I really didn’t want to pay for ready-made snacks and meals as they aren't healthy or budget-friendly!

There had to be a way to streamline the process without shelling out more money.

My Solution = Mini Freezer Meals

I'm all about practical shortcuts, so I put my thinking cap on. After a bit of trial and error, I figured out a no-stress way to create toddler sized freezer meals! It's so simple that you might just cry happy tears.

My “secret” is to use silicone muffin liners.

When silicone muffin liners first came out, they were all the rage, weren't they? I saw them everywhere! People were making homemade chocolate cups, and using them as lunch box dividers. I thought "Well, I'd better get myself a set of those and see if they are all they're cracked up to be." It turns out, they are.

The idea came to me after I saw someone freezing soup in muffin tins. I thought it would be pretty difficult to remove the soup without a liner. Suddenly, I realized that although soup might not be a great thing to put into a silicone liner, other leftovers would work great!

That night, I took the few leftovers from our meal and dumped them into a muffin liner. I stuck it into the freezer in a snack-sized Ziploc bag. The next day, I fed my two-year-old his very first homemade freezer meal. It was a miracle!

Homemade Freezer Meals Save Time, Money, and Energy

I have been doing this ever since and it is a complete lifesaver!

Right before I had my third baby, I made a few dishes to turn into muffin cup meals so that I could feed my boys without having to cook. I can't imagine what I would have done without them!

However, my favorite thing about this is that it can be done without any extra meal prep. My youngest two would be hard pushed to finish two muffin cups each. This doesn't add up to much food at all!

Whenever we have a little bit of a recipe left after dinner, it goes right into the freezer. If I'm running low on mini freezer meals, I usually steal a couple of muffin liners before everyone eats. Nobody is the wiser, and it saves me a lot of work.

This has relieved me from dishes and cooking so many times!

Homemade Freezer Meal Tips

Make sure to label the snack bags. It won't take long before you have a variety of meals to choose from. If your toddler is anything like mine, he will want a say in what he eats for lunch, and everything starts looking the same pretty quickly.

When you are ready to feed your kids, just pop a muffin cup into a dish and heat it up in the microwave. The muffin cups take about thirty seconds each to defrost. Then, stir them up and they are the perfect temperature for little ones. If your kiddo is a bit older, zap it for another fifteen seconds or so.

Make Your Own Mini Muffin Meals

This idea is incredibly simple and it can be applied to almost any leftovers. I have frozen mac and cheese, casserole, and breakfast bowls to name a few. The sky is the limit!

It's amazing how much of a difference this one simple trick has made in our lives. Give this mom-hack a shot if you are looking to save money, time, and energy while feeding your kids!

Keri is a mother of three, Financial Planner, and founder of the blog, Families & Finance. She helps struggling stay-at-home-moms relieve the stress of money through frugal living, personal finance, and entrepreneurship so that they can find fulfillment in their everyday lives.

    
 

Gretchen’s $69 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

Aldi

After a week of wedding festivities here in town, our refrigerator and cabinets were pretty bare! So I stocked up on lots of stuff this week!

1 pkg Fruit & Grain Bars – $1.49

1 pkg Raspberries – $1.49

1 pkg Celery – $1.19

1 bag Apples – $1.79

2 pints Grape Tomatoes – $0.99 each

1 loaf Bread – $1.49

1 gallon Milk – $1.88

1 bag Frozen Blueberries – $2.24

2 bags Frozen Broccoli – $1.19 each

2 bags Frozen Peas – $0.79 each

1 pkg Cheese – $1.99

2 Cucumbers – $0.89 each

1 bag Frozen Corn – $0.79

1 lb Butter – $2.55

1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies – $0.49

2 dozen Eggs – $0.58 each

1 Crisp Rice Cereal – $1.49

1 Frosted Flakes Cereal – $1.39

1 box Organic Mac & Cheese – $1.15

1 bag Kettle Chips – $1.39

1 can Pumpkin – $0.79

1 lb Oven Roasted Turkey Breast – $3.99

1 bag Tortilla Chips – $1.49

2 pkg Flour Tortillas – $0.99 each

1 bag Frozen Chicken Breasts – $5.99

1 pkg Applesauce Cups – $1.49

1 Unsweetened Applesauce – $1.89

Earned 25 Fetch Reward Points (like $0.25)

Total: $49.31

Dillons

I have been looking for markdowns at Dillons in the early morning after school drop off and haven’t been finding much, but yesterday I ran into Dillons in the afternoon and hit the jackpot on markdowns!! I was SO excited – especially with all the baby food finds as my 6 month old has just started eating solids! I think my Dillons must mark things down later in the day so I am going to start popping in there in the afternoons from now on.

2 Chobani Flip Yogurts – Marked down to $0.59 each

1 Frosted Cheerios Cereal – Marked down to $1.39, used $0.25/1 Ibotta rebate – $1.14 after rebate

2 boxes Simple Truth Fruit/Veggie Pouches – $2.79 each, used $0.25/1 Ibotta rebate

2.20 lbs Bananas – $1.08

1 bag Jet Puffed Marshmallows – $1.25, used $1/1 e-coupon – $0.25 after coupon

1 Psst Crackers – Marked down to $0.49

1 Green Leaf Lettuce – $1.29

2 boxes Kroger Tube Yogurt – Marked down to $0.89 each

2 boxes Zone Perfect Kidz Bars – $2.99 each, used $2.50/2 printable AND $0.25/1 Ibotta rebate – $1.61 each after coupon (I don’t normally like to pay over $1.50 for a box of granola bars but these are my son’s favorite and it’s a special treat whenever I buy them for him. They are usually super expensive so I couldn’t pass up this deal!)

6 Kroger Yogurts – Marked down to $0.19 each

1 Comforts Strawberry Baby Puffs – Marked down to $0.59

3 Simple Truth Organic Baby Puffs – Marked down to $0.99 each

Used $0.10 Ibotta rebate for receipt

Earned 182 Fetch Reward Point (like $1.82)

Total after coupons and rebates: $20.36

Not pictured: My Mom also brought a bunch of leftover wedding food to my house yesterday including milk, oranges, cucumbers, crackers, chips, cheese, salsa, ice cream and eggs!

Total for both stores: $69.77

Menu Plan for This Week

Breakfasts

Eggs, Cereal, Yogurt, Pumpkin Muffins

Lunches

Turkey Sandwiches, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Turkey/Cheese/Crackers, Cheese Quesadillas, Mac & Cheese, Fruit/Veggies, Chips, Hard Boiled Eggs, Tossed Salad

Dinners

Spaghetti, Steamed Broccoli, Toast

Southwest Rollups (from the freezer), Chips & Dip, Steamed Peas, Orange Slices

Homemade Cheese Pizza, Breadsticks, Tossed Salad

Pancakes, Eggs, Homemade Applesauce

Taco Bar, Steamed Corn

Grilled Chicken, Biscuits, Steamed Broccoli

Leftovers