Monday, September 12, 2016

How Money-Making Mom Inspired Me To Write A Cookbook and more...

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 days email header graphic

How Money-Making Mom Inspired Me To Write A Cookbook

5180RzZ+ArL

Testimonial from Katy of Finding Home Blog

"There is only one you, and the world needs what you have to offer." These words jumped off the page at me as I was reading Money-Making Mom.

I wanted to find something that I was good at, something that I was passionate about, and share it with the world.

I made my list of skills, talents, knowledge, and passions. And then it sat there.

I had a list of things that I could do, but none of them seemed quite right. I had a few "odd jobs" on my list, but they weren't thrilling or exciting to me. I had been blogging for a few years, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't do it consistently or about any specific topic, and my audience was mostly family and friends.

Then my purpose fell into my lap and took me by surprise.

Of my four children, two of them have a gluten intolerance. We've gotten pretty good at gluten free eating over the past couple of years, but we were still missing our baked goods. So I started experimenting with making muffins using only oat flour.

At first, I modified recipes I found online. Some turned out, some didn't. I moved on to a family recipe from my mom, one of my dad's favorites. When my own family couldn’t believe they were gluten free, I knew then I was onto something.

I started coming up with my own recipes. I've had a dream of writing and publishing a book since I was about 12 years old. But a cookbook? That never really crossed my mind. Until it did.

I got several recipes under my belt. And then life got busy. And I let other things take over, because it's all fine and good that our family enjoys these recipes, but to share them with other people? What if they don't like them? What if they don't turn out? And then I have to figure out how to format a book on my own? I am not that tech smart. The insecurities and the fear of failure were weighing me down.

But another line from Money-Making Mom kept coming back to me. "Whatever you have to do, show up and give it your all. The rest will follow."

Crystal talks about punching fear in the face, and doing things even though you're scared. So I did. I started an email list. I gathered a group of recipe testers. I shared my recipes. And I was petrified.

The feedback wasn't all positive. But it was helpful. I reworked a few things, and I did it. Now I have a published cookbook!!

(You can download the book for FREE through September 16, 2016!)

"I am enough. I was created for a purpose." God sometimes uses us in ways we don't expect. For me, that turned out to be showing others how to make gluten free baked goods with simple ingredients and on a budget.

Whether you have your purpose figured out, or you have no idea where to start, I want to encourage you to keep trying. Keep experimenting with things that are unique to you and your family. You might be surprised by what happens as a result!

Katy is the wife of a pastor and a mom of four children. She writes about food, homeschool, parenting, and home management at Finding Home Blog, and her new book, Oat Flour Muffins: Gluten Free Baking The Simple Way, is available on Amazon.

    
 

How to Spend $50 a Week on Groceries

how-to-spend-50-a-week-on-groceries

Trying to stretch your grocery budget? Check out this helpful post on how to spend $50 a week on groceries.

    
 

21 days email header graphic

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.