Friday, January 23, 2015

Why You Need to Embrace the Awkward if You Want to Experience the Awesome and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

300x250fcartoon

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode

Here's What's New

:: Why You Need to Embrace the Awkward if You Want to Experience the Awesome

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.01.10 AM
Yesterday, I read this beautiful post on Why We Should Stop Living a Safe Life. And I so agree.

But here’s the thing: stepping outside your comfort zone and taking risks isn’t usually glamorous business.

I think we sometimes idealize and fantasize what risk-taking will be like.

We picture wild adventures. Thrilling exploits. Amazing feats. While that is often some of what happens, there’s usually a whole lot of awkward and hard work in between.

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.07.03 AM

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.04.58 AM

Lisa-Jo and I experienced that last week. We had such a great trip, but I can guarantee you that every minute was not filled with incredible mountain-top experiences.

In fact, in between all the wonderful things, there was also a fair share of sweat, dirt, vomit, and tears involved. I’m learning that’s part of the whole stepping-outside-your-comfort-zone gig.

One very wise piece of advice Lisa-Jo gave me before we embarked on the trip was this, “It’s going to feel awkward at times. That’s okay. In fact, that’s more than okay. That’s normal.”

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.08.24 AM

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.08.43 AM

There were a lot of awkward moments on the trip last week…

There were many times (especially at first) when I couldn’t understand someone’s accent. After asking them to repeat themselves three times and you still didn’t understand, it was hard to know what to do or say.

There were multiple times when I replied with the completely wrong thing because I thought they were talking about something entirely different. (South Africans and Americans both speak English, but the words and phrases often mean different things.)

There were times when all the kids and adults were dancing their hearts out singing a song that I didn’t know the words or hand motions to. Not to mention the fact that I’m not really the dancing type of person! :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.09.53 AM

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.11.06 AM

There were times when I could tell that the person I was talking to didn’t have any idea what I was saying because they couldn’t understand my accent or American phrases.

There were times when I would start speaking in English to someone only to realize they didn’t understand English (most South Africans speak English, but there are a small minority of those who don’t).

There were times when I was given food to eat that was very different than anything I was used to.

There were times when it seemed everyone else knew what was going on and I didn’t have a clue.

There were times when a child would do or say something that broke your heart so much you could barely hold in the tears.

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 8.01.37 AM

Yes, there was a lot of awkwardness mixed in with the trip. There were many times when I didn’t know what to do, say, or be.

But if I had chosen to avoid those awkward moments, I would have missed out on so many awesome moments. Moments that were goose-bump-inducing and incredibly amazing.

And so I encourage you: stop playing it safe. Step out. Step up. Jump out. Take risks.

It will be awkward, tiring, exhausting, and monotonous at times. But don’t let that hold you back.

Embrace the awkward and you’ll get to experience the awesome.

    

:: How Facebook Can Save You Thousands on Kid’s Clothes

3707213644_706b953c67

Ashley of Lies About Parenting emailed in the following tip:

I was tired of buying nice clothes, only to see them dirtied, scuffed, and stained within minutes. On a play date, I mentioned my frustration to a good friend whose daughter always looks so trendy.

She understood how I felt, and mentioned that most of her daughter's clothes are now purchased through Facebook BST sites for less than half the price of stores.

BST = Buy Sell Trade

BST Facebook groups are closed groups for moms to buy, sell, and trade their favorite clothing brands. There are literally thousands of these Facebook groups, for every popular brand.

I figured it couldn’t hurt to try, so I ordered 10 items from a Mini Boden BST group. My total cost was only $17 for 5 pairs of leggings, 5 coordinating tops, and shipping. Similar items, new on the site, would have totaled over $200!

If you want to explore BST sites, here are a few helpful tips:

Critical Facts About Facebook BSTs:

  • BST sites are not like eBay. Fakes are very rare and group admins are quick to remove members who don't abide by the rules.
  • Groups are self-policed and serious about fair pricing, authenticity, and fast shipping.
  • Act fast. If you want it, say so, because the best deals are gone in the blink of an eye!
  • It's not all second hand. Moms pick up steals at their local store/outlet, and pass along the savings in their fave BST groups.
  • Learn the lingo. The group will usually have a file with a list acronyms and abbreviations.

How To Find The Best BST Groups:

  • Size matters. Look for a group with a few hundred to a few thousand members. Too few, and there's no selection. Too many, and fraud becomes common.
  • PayPal safely. Always send payment marked for Goods/Services, and never gift money. You pay a small percentage to Paypal (about 2%), but it's worth it for the buyer-protection.
  • Look for fast sales. In the best groups, items are pended (considered sold, pending payment) almost immediately.

Give it a try. Search for your favorite clothing brand using the Facebook search tool. Add "BST", if needed, join a few groups, and let the savings begin!

photo source

    

Survey Spot



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.