Friday, January 16, 2015

My 3 Go-To "Grocery Budget Rescue" Foods and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

300x250fcartoon

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode

Here's What's New

:: My 3 Go-To “Grocery Budget Rescue” Foods

grocery budget rescue

Guest post from Kristie of Table-Talk

We all have those weeks: Low on cash and high on unexpected bills. We pilfer around like "Old Mother Hubbard," searching for enough food to keep the family happy until the next pay check comes in.

As a mom of six, I know about those Mother Hubbard days. Over the years, my strategy has come to include a few "rescue foods" that help us get through the lean times when a broken-down vehicle steals from the grocery cash, or when a prescription takes precedence over food.

Although some of these ideas may not work for every family (especially those with special dietary needs or allergies) I hope my suggestions can help some of you get through bill-paying-seasons without feeling deprived.

Here are my go-to “Grocery Budget Rescue” foods:

1. Beans.

Beans are a blessing to a lean budget. You remember the food pyramids from 4th grade Health Class? Well, beans manage to fill up three of the four tiers!

As a vegetable, they are also high in protein (able to sub in as a meat in your menu), carbs, and fiber. There is probably no food more versatile on the planet!

Dry beans make the most budget-friendly purchase of anything in your grocery cart, but remember: they do have to be pre-soaked. Once they are soaked and cooked, you can make them into hummus, soup, burritos, or a main meal.

Black beans are delicious and hearty — especially with some salt and a serving of rice. If you are fortunate enough to have sour cream or vegetables on hand, go for it.

My "cheat" recipe for hummus involves lentils and seasonings, since they do not require any soaking. It's a great way to sneak in a vegetarian lunch on unsuspecting children. Use corn chips to go gluten-free. And best of all, they really are filling!

Just one word of caution: old beans don't cook well. The outer shell remains hard while the inner bean cooks, resulting in a very unpleasant and barely edible mess. Eat beans within a few months of purchase, and be wary of dry beans from food banks where they may have been sitting too long.

2. Soup.

Unless you live in the Sahara, you can't go wrong with a food whose first ingredient is "water." Right now, my monthly dinner menu includes 20 different soups (all dinner meals). And soup made with beans? It's a win-win for the budget, and your family's health will be the biggest winner of all.

My strategy with soup is simple: Variety!

Soup recipes abound on the web, and I've surveyed my friends for their favorite recipes. Not every soup recipe will be a family favorite, but eating the same recipe once a month isn't so bad.

Again, the flexibility of soup is that you can throw in whatever you have on hand. Canned veggies you got half off because they were dented; last year's peppers from the freezer; and those beans we've just been raving about.

Most soup recipes are not "set in stone" like other recipes that must be followed to the letter. It's even possible to swap out meats — lower-priced bulk sausage in place of that $4.49/lb. hamburger, for example.

3. Oats.

Whether they are steel-cut, old-fashioned, or rolled, oats are generally less expensive (and much more filling) than cereals, instant oatmeal, and all the sugary pop tarts that our kids would love to see us tossing into the grocery cart.

If you are fortunate enough (as I am) to live within driving distance of a store that sells oats in bulk, you are twice blessed. Our Mennonite shop sells them for $0.50 a pound! That's about as close to "free" as it comes.

Oatmeal often has a reputation for being gooey and glumpy. Ick. Baked oatmeal can be made crispier (we like it "just this side" of burned), even without nuts.

For the weeks when the cash is low and the bills are high, there's your menu. Soup, beans, and oats to the rescue! And a cheerful attitude to wash it all down.

What are your favorite “Grocery Budget Rescue” foods?

Kristie is a pastor’s wife and homeschooling mom of 6, living in rural Carrollton, Illinois. She blogs at Table-Talk, a practical blog to encourage women.

photo source

    

:: Free Printable $1 Per Person Shopping List & Meal Plan

meal-plan

Need some ideas for inexpensive meals for your family? Check out this $1 Per Person Shopping List & Meal Plan from Moms by Heart.

    

Survey Spot

:: We Made It to South Africa!!!

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 1.32.29 AM

Before the flight

After 18 hours on a plane, we made it to South Africa this afternoon!!!! This was my first time to be on another continent, so it was quite surreal.

The flight went far better than I could have imagined. The first few hours we chatted, ate the yummy dinner they served on the plane, and I read a short book.

I was starting to feel really tired, so I decided to go ahead and try to sleep. Well, after tossing and turning for awhile and struggling to find a comfortable position, I then started feeling sick to my stomach.

"Oh, great! We're only a few hours into the flight and I'm already feeling pretty miserable!" I thought.

I decided to ask Lisa-Jo for some Dramamine since she had gone out and bought extra just in case any of us needed some. Let me just say: I’m so, so grateful she did.

I've never taken Dramamine before, but within 30 minutes of taking it, I was in love with the stuff! Not only did they end up calming my queasy stomach, but they also put me into a deep sleep. And I slept soundly for 7-8 hours total!!

I woke up feeling refreshed and rested — which was a huge blessing! I spent the rest of the flight watching a movie and getting caught up on my She Reads Truth study of John. Then it was breakfast time on the plane and then we landed!

While I was initially really dreading the 18-hour flight, it turned out going by quite quickly! Thank you so much for your prayers that I could sleep on the flight — God definitely answered them. And I also have become a firm believer in bringing Dramamine on long flights. :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 1.32.47 AMAfter the flight — with some of Lisa-Jo’s family

We’ve only been here a few hours and I’m already head over heels in love with the people, the climate, the food, and the hospitality! The weather is amazing — it was a little rainy and overcast but just so refreshing.

Lisa-Jo’s family is just so, so dear. They’ve already bent over backwards to host us.

We had dinner with them tonight and then sat around the table and talked for a long time while Lisa-Jo’s dad brought out different kinds of fruits, cut them up, and passed them around for us to eat.

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 1.33.49 AM

I’ve tried two new-to-me foods so far: Beef Biltong and Lychee. Plus, we had some of the best fresh peaches and mango I’ve ever had!

Tomorrow, we’re headed out to meet a lot of the locals and see some of the different ministries here that Lisa-Jo’s parents are involved in. I feel so grateful to have this opportunity and am excited for what the next few days will hold.

Thank you for praying for us, sending such encouraging notes, emails, texts, and comments, and for being our cheerleaders on this adventure. We appreciate you all so much!

    



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.