Saturday, August 23, 2014

Gretchen's $55 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

Image 1

UNI_WM_Clear_Rollback_300x250

Here's What's New

:: Gretchen’s $55 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

photo (10)

Aldi

2 Cucumbers – $0.59 each (I will get $0.25 back from Checkout 51.)

1 lb Butter – $2.69

1 Honey Bear – $2.99

1 loaf Bread – $0.99

1 Cantaloupe – $0.99

2 Strawberries – $1.25 each

2 Avocados – $0.33 each

1 bag Flour Tortillas – $1.19

1 pkg Kitchen Trash Bags – $4.99

1 can Refried Beans – $0.79

1 pkg Roma Tomatoes – $1.19 (I will get $0.25 back from Checkout 51.)

1 pkg Carrots – $0.99

Total with tax ($1.51): $22.66

photo (11)

Dillons

2 half gallons Milk – $1.34 each

1 half gallon Buttermilk – Marked down to $0.10 (I couldn’t pass this up! I’m going to make buttermilk biscuits and pancakes to freeze. I don’t think I’ve ever bought buttermilk before since I always just make my own so I’m curious to see if it tastes any better with the real stuff.) :)

1 Kroger Cottage Cheese – $1.25

1 pkg Raspberries – $0.99

0.71 lb Broccoli @ $1.59/lb – $1.13

1 Lettuce – $0.99

1 Kroger Frozen Hashbrowns – $1.99

1 Kroger Dishwasher Detergent – $3.49

2 cans Green Beans – $0.44

1 Kentucky Legend Ham Steak – $2.99

1 lb Simple Truth Ground Beef – Marked down to $3.34

2 bags Kroger Shredded Cheese – $2 each

1 pkg Chicken Drumsticks – $5.59

1 bag Life Is Good Coffee – Marked down to $2.25 (I’ve never tried this coffee before. It is normally over $9 but they had all the Life Is Good coffee on clearance. I’m anxious to try it!)

Total with tax ($2.18): $32.72

Total for all grocery items: $55.38 (And I will also get $0.50 back from Checkout 51.)

Menu Plan for This Week

Breakfasts

Oatmeal, Scrambled Eggs/Fruit, Toast, Cereal, Smoothies

Lunches

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Macaroni & Cheese, Tossed Salad, Fruit/Veggies/Crackers, Leftovers

Dinners

Baked Chicken Drumsticks (this package will last us 2 meals so I will freeze half of it), Fruit

Beef & Cheese Noodle Bake, Tossed Salad, Peas (from freezer)

Hashbrown Casserole (I will be doubling this and putting one casserole in the freezer), Buttermilk Biscuits, Cantaloupe

Spaghetti with Garlic Chicken Gravy, Green Beans, Tossed Salad

Deer Roast, Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberry Muffins

Brown Bag Burritos (I will make the full recipe and freeze half of them), Tossed Salad

Date Night (using a gift card I earned from MyPoints.com)

    

:: Rise & Shine Challenge: Day 5

Rise-and-Shine-Logo1-600x400

We made it to Day 5! Are you still hanging in there and making progress?

I have definitely made progress this week… I haven’t had a perfect record this week of getting up at 4:30 a.m. every morning as I’d planned. But I am encouraged by the progress I’ve made.

Last night and this morning, I didn’t do so well, though. But it was for a good reason!

I had a chapter of my book due to turn into my editor by last night. When 9 p.m. rolled around, it still needed some more work. So I stayed up for an extra two hours to finish it.

Gratefully, I knew today was going to be a pretty quiet day with a short to-do list, so I was able to sleep in to make up for my late night last night.

I guess it kind of makes me feel better to confess I got up at 7:15 a.m. this morning when I read today’s email and assignment on Early Rising Isn’t For Everyone. :)

I’d also say that early rising is not for every season or every single day. Like last night, when I had a project that needed to be completed, I was good with giving myself grace and just re-arranging my schedule.

That’s life, isn’t it?

Starting My Morning Right

Starting My Day Off Well

One thing I’ve tried to make a habit of is starting my day with a few of the same things — no matter what time I get up. These are things that recharge my soul, refresh my spirit, and just plain get me ready to face the day.

For me, that’s writing in my Blessings Journal, reading a few chapters from the Bible, praying for the day (I often pray through my day — all the projects, the opportunities, and the potentially difficult or stressful things.), reading a chapter from my current devotional/inspirational book, and exercising.

It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes when I start my day with these things. If I get up later and don’t have a lot of time in the mornings, I will often just condense the time — maybe only read one chapter, skip the devotional reading, and pray while I’m running on the treadmill.

Taking 30 to 45 minutes every day to start my day in this way has made such a major impact on my life… and helps me start the day with the right focus and perspective.

This Morning's Report

  • Got up at 7:15 a.m.
  • Made coffee. Read my Bible and devotional books. Prayed over my day.
  • Opened the laptop, answered emails, answered comments, and scheduled some posts. Got sucked into reading something online… and then wished I hadn’t because it was upsetting!  :(
  • Did a quick pick up of the main living areas of the home (I didn’t get this done last night like I usually try to.)
  • Started some laundry, and got the kids up and helped them get ready for the morning. There was some whining and complaining going on because some people didn’t want to have eggs again and instead wanted oatmeal or cereal — but our bulk order of oatmeal and cereal hasn’t arrived yet from Amazon, so we had a good opportunity to talk about gratitude and contentment. And I tried to keep my cool when I wanted to be frustrated at the lack of good attitudes so early in the day. I was mostly successful.
  • While the kids were finishing up their morning routines, I quickly exercised, showered, and dressed.
  • And then it was time to start our day!

How was your morning? How do you start your day in a way that refreshes you? I’d love to hear!

    

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: What comes to mind when you hear the words “financial freedom”?

Financial Freedom

Earlier this week, I gave you a little peek into what my next book is going to be about and told you that I was going to be asking for your help during the writing process.

THANK YOU to everyone who left comments or emailed in with your answers to my first two questions. Your insight was incredible helpful as I shape this book.

Thank you for sharing so openly about your struggles, difficulties, setbacks, and fears. My hope is to address as many of these as possible in the book.

Today, I have a quick question for you: What comes to your mind when you hear the words “financial freedom”? What does that mean to you? What does that look like for you?

Share your answers in the comments or email them to crystal @ moneysavingmom.com. There are no right or wrong answers. I’m especially looking for one-sentence answers to use in a section of the book.

Note: I will be using some of your answers in the book, so if you don’t feel comfortable having your comment or email published in the book, please note that when you submit it.

photo credit

    



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.