Sunday, January 2, 2022

My Reading Goals for January

In previous years, I've picked a long list and big stack of books I want to read that year. I've found that I struggle to stick with that list because I always find so many other books I want to read and that initial list makes me feel kind of guilty ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

Here's what's new:

make-over-your-mornings-300-250

money-making-mom-300x250

My Reading Goals for January

In previous years, I’ve picked a long list and big stack of books I want to read that year. I’ve found that I struggle to stick with that list because I always find so many other books I want to read and that initial list makes me feel kind of guilty that I’m not following through.

Instead of trying that approach again, I’m experimenting with something different in 2022: I’m going to set monthly reading goals. At the beginning of the month, I’ll pick a stack of books I want to read that month and I’ll focus on reading those books throughout the month.

This way, I can make room for the many new or new-to-me titles I discover throughout the year. Plus, I can pick fewer books to read on the months that I know there is a lot going on.

My Book List for January

Here is my book list for January and why I chose each title. (Note: Inclusion on this list does not mean I am recommending or endorsing the book as I haven’t read it yet! So read at your own discretion and look for my weekly book review post to hear my honest thoughts on each title!)

Rest, Girl

This is a book by Jami Amerine that has the subtitle of “A journey from Exhausted and Stressed to Entirely Blessed.” I’ve enjoyed Jami’s books in the past and thought this would be a great read to kick off the year!

Fighting Forward

I appreciated Hannah Brencher’s book, Come Matter Here, and have had this book on my shelf waiting to be read for a number of months.

Beneath a Scarlet Sky

So many of you have highly recommended this book and it’s high time I finally read it. I wanted to pick a really good fiction book to start the year off with!

The Flirtation Experiment

It’s be awhile since I’ve read a marriage-related book and this looked like a good one! We celebrate 19 years of marriage in January and I can always use a refresher and encouragement!

They Call Me Mama

This title was suggested by Katie Reid and I’m excited to read it. From what I understand, it’s about a family who said yes to stepping out in faith and opening up their home to a number of children who needed a family. Also, I think that any mom who is raising 14 kids probably has a lot of wisdom to share!

Bloom

A friend encouraged me to read this book as it’s the story of a mom who gives birth to a baby with Down syndrome and her honest first year of processing this unexpected news — grieving, learning, and finding joy in it. I’m halfway through it and have thought a lot about Baby D’s mom and what it must have been like for her to find out her son had Down syndrome after he was born. It’s given me a lot more empathy and compassion for her and many other moms who have walked and are walking a similar road.

The Story of You

I’ve really benefited from Ian Cron’s other books so was very interested in reading this one. I’m a few chapters in and learning a lot… though I have some disagreements with some things, too. (What’s new??!)

Win the Day

I love so many of Mark Batterson’s books and have gleaned a lot from them, so I’m looking forward to many takeaways from this book!

The Woman They Could Not Silence

This book was chosen by Sharon Says So on instagram for her recent book club. I wasn’t part of the book club, but the title intrigued me. I’ve read a few chapters so far and am not sure what to think, but I’m anxious to read the rest!

Every day after lunch, I read aloud to Kierstyn and Baby D before their nap time. We read a few picture books and review our ABC Memory verses and then read 5-10 pages from a chapter book plus one chapter from The Jesus Storybook Bible.

This month, we’re reading Dancing Through the Snow — a book that someone gave me thinking we might enjoy it because it’s about foster care. I’m curious to see what I think of it.

Audiobooks I Plan to Listen To

I love to listen to fiction audiobooks while I’m cooking, cleaning, or driving. I get all of mine for free on Hoopla or Libby. This month, I am planning to listen to The Way it Should Be and The Paris Library — both that came highly recommended from some of you!

What are you planning to/hoping to read in January? I’d love to hear!

   
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life