Monday, January 17, 2022

A Peek Into Last Week (+ my 8 goals for this week) and more...

These two have been having so much fun playing together now that Baby D is so much more mobile and can keep up with Kierstyn more! I love using my bread machine to make dough — this week I used it to make the dough for Ham & Cheese Pockets. One of the ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

A Peek Into Last Week (+ my 8 goals for this week)

These two have been having so much fun playing together now that Baby D is so much more mobile and can keep up with Kierstyn more!

I love using my bread machine to make dough — this week I used it to make the dough for Ham & Cheese Pockets.

One of the cleaning projects I tackled on Instagram this past week was going through my jewelry. Silas helped me get some of my necklaces untangled.

This past week, I started doing LIVE Facebook Shows again. We talk about the hottest deals, you can ask questions live, and we talk about money-saving strategies. If you are interested in joining us, I go live on our Facebook Page around 5:45 p.m. CST every weekday night.

I did a craft kit from Annie’s Creative Woman this weekend.

I was so happy with how the bracelets turned out!

On Instagram this weekend, I shared about my favorite Maybelline Total Temptations Brow Definer and showed this as a before.

And here’s the after. You can see the five makeup products I use every day here.

And we got more snow this weekend!! It was beautiful!

My 10 Goals for Last Week

Personal Goals

Reading Goals

Family Goals

  • Do a craft kit with Kaitlynn. (See above.)
  • Have a family movie night. (We watched the next episode of Amazing Race!)

Business/Blogging Goals

  • Write a post on grocery savings ideas in this economy. (See it here.)
  • Create on IG reel on how I find time to read. (See it here.)

Book Goals

  • Finish reading the rough draft of my book aloud to Jesse.
  • Finalize the rough draft and send it to two people who are going to give me feedback/critique.

I am traveling to NC this weekend for my sister’s baby shower plus have a number of extra activities and plans with friends this week, so I’m only setting 8 goals for this week.

My 8 Goals for This Week

Personal Goals

Reading Goals

Family Goals

  • Have a date night with Jesse.

Business/Blogging Goals

  • Write a post on my best tips for surviving the first trimester.
  • Create on IG reel on my best tips for the first trimester.

Book Goals

  • Work on the Step-by-Step implementation plan for the end of the book.

What are your goals for this week? Share them in the comments below.

   
 

3 Books I Finished Last Week

In 2022, I’m setting monthly reading goals. You can see the 9 books I picked to read in January here.

So far, I’m very excited to say that I’ve already finished four from the stack + two audiobooks and I’m in the middle of reading two others and hope to have them finished next week! YAY!

My Honest Reviews From This Week

Here are my honest reviews of the the three books I read this past week:

Note: You can follow along with the books I finish this year and my star ratings over on GoodReads. Also, books are rated on a 1-5 star scale. I basically won’t finish a book if it’s one star (not worth my time!) and I’ll rarely give a book a 5-star rating unless it was just absolutely amazing or life-changing.

Rest, Girl: A Journey from Exhausted and Stressed to Entirely Blessed

I’ve loved other books by Jami Amerine, so I was excited about this title — especially because I think we can all use encouragement to rest in the Lord and live less exhausted, stressed lives.

However, I just felt like the book had a lot of things I disagreed with theologically or that were really confusing. I also felt like it jumped all over the place and lacked a lot of clarity as to how to live a rested life of trusting in the Lord. There were some good thoughts in it and Jami’s characteristic humor, but I just don’t feel like I could recommend the book based upon my concerns that some of the advice was not something I would agree with theologically or Biblically.

Verdict: 2 stars

They Call Me Mama: What Happens When We Say “Yes” to God

This was the very honest (and pretty amazing!) story of a couple who said yes to God and stepped out in faith to adopt 10 children (in addition to having 4 biological children). I really appreciated hearing their willingness to say yes to things that felt so far beyond their ability and how they shared God’s faithfulness in the hard things.

I did find the book confusing in parts. She would reference something that she hadn’t given enough backstory to or clarification for (for instance, she talked about homeschooling but then talked about a child being embarrassed about something at school).

But overall, I think the book would be an encouragement to all foster families and adoptive families and those who are considering fostering or adopting — especially if you have a larger family. I especially appreciated her honesty in sharing how hard it is, but how it is worth it, despite the hard.

Verdict: 3 stars

The Paris Library

I have mixed feelings on this book. I enjoyed the historically accurate story of the American Library in Paris that stayed open during World War II (a story I was unfamiliar with it). And I found walking in the shoes of those who experienced what it was like to deal with all of the emotions that the war brought and the hard decisions you had to make really thought-provoking.

However, I felt like the story drug on in parts and felt fluffy in other parts. I also didn’t enjoy that some parts bordered on being PG-13 when it came to the romance.

It definitely wasn’t my favorite World War II novel to listen to, but I also liked it enough to finish it. So I’m giving it three stars!

Verdict: 3 stars

What did you read or listen to last week? I’d love to hear!

   
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life