Monday, October 14, 2019

How to Save Money on Groceries When You Only Eat Whole Foods

Is it possible to save money on groceries if you only eat whole foods? In this post, I give some of my best tips and encouragement for how to keep your grocery budget low, even if you only eat whole foods. I have been scouring the internet for easy, ...

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

Here's what's new:

How to Save Money on Groceries When You Only Eat Whole Foods

Is it possible to save money on groceries if you only eat whole foods? In this post, I give some of my best tips and encouragement for how to keep your grocery budget low, even if you only eat whole foods.

I have been scouring the internet for easy, budget friendly meals for those on a strict diet. Over a year ago my health was a mess and we figured out my body has a sensitivity to toxins in the environment, particularly from plastic, treated water, and also chemicals used on food. I found I feel so much better when eating whole, organic foods and organic meats. However this shot our grocery budget up to a crazy high amount.

We live in a sparsely populated area in the midwest, one stoplight in our whole county. Healthy food is not cheap. I am desperate for ideas on how to have a “beans and rice” budget but not sacrifice the progress I have made in my health. I would love to hear insight on this. Thanks and God bless your journey! -Kristy

First off, Kristy, I just want to encourage you to know that you are not alone. I have heard from many other women who are in similar situations. And I’ve also seen many women who have found very creative ways to eat very healthfully on a tight budget.

One of my local friends, Cheapskate Cook, is a fantastic resource for how to eat healthfully on a budget. She constantly inspires me with her outside-the-box ideas!

I also wanted to share some other strategies and suggestions that might help you in your journey:

1. Have a can do attitude.

The first step to lowering your budget is believing that you can. If you think you can’t, you probably won’t be able to. But if you believe you can, you’ll likely be motivated to figure out creative ways to make it happen.

When there is a will, there is usually a way.

2.  Cut your budget in other areas.

Now, that said, I’m not saying you should be unrealistic or put undue pressure on yourself. Don’t compare yourself to other people or other budgets.

Also, realize that getting creative could mean choosing to cut back in other budget categories in order to give you more wiggle room in your grocery budget.

For instance, maybe your family choose to drive an older car and not go on vacations and live in a smaller home in order to free up extra money for your grocery budget. Everyone has different priorities and it’s okay if your priorities are very different from another family’s priorities.

3. Buy in bulk.

Research all of the local farms in your area to see which ones would be willing to sell to the public. Could you drive an hour or two to buy half a cow and save $1 or $2/lb.?

Are there any orchards or farms nearby that would be willing to sell you their produce “seconds” for less? Sure, it might not be as pretty as full-priced product, but they will taste just as good!

What about stores that are within a 50-mile radius of your home that might offer organic items and would give you a discount if you were to purchase in bulk?

Also,  check to see if Azure Standard delivers in your area. If not, could you start a group so that they will come to your area?

4. Grow your own.

One of the best ways to save on produce is to grow your own. If you have kids, make it a family affair. Challenge yourself to see how much of what you usually buy at the store can be grown or made yourself!

5. Look into online options.

There are so many great online options nowadays that offer great deals on natural and organic products. Grove.co, Amazon, and Vitacost are a few of my favorite sites. But I’m sure if you start looking, there are many others, too!

Tip: Type in the price point you want to pay for items you routinely buy from Amazon.com at CamelCamelCamel.com and they’ll send you an alert when the price goes under that amount!

What others ideas do the rest of you have for Kristy? I’d love to hear in the comments!

More posts to check out:

photo credit