Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Why You Should Create a Stop Doing List and more...

 
Money Saving Mom

make-over-your-mornings-468-60

Here's What's New
Why You Should Create a Stop Doing List
How I Make a Full Time Income as a Stay at Home Mom + 7 Secrets to Success
Save on select body washes at Walgreens + win a $100 Walgreens gift card!

money-making-mom-300x250

grocery-university-300x250

:: Why You Should Create a Stop Doing List

Why You Need to Create Stop Doing List

I just finished reading a pre-release copy of Alli Worthington's Breaking Busy book that comes out in January 2016. I've loved this book! It's chock-full of all kinds of helpful advice, tips, and inspiration on living life more slowly with purpose.

One of the quotes that jumped out at me was this:

"Our lives have gotten so cluttered with things we think we should do, that we can't figure out what we were meant to do. Let your life be about what you were meant to do, not full of what you think you should do. This starts with your daily decisions about how you spend your time."

Alli then goes on to encourage you to create a Stop Doing List - a list of items you intentionally decide to not do so that you can focus your time and energy on your greatest priorities.

She says the best way to identify what you need to stop doing is by asking yourself these two questions:

  1. What is sucking the life right out of me?
  2. Does this activity get me closer to reaching my goals?

As someone who loves to-do lists and goals, I thought this was a really great way to create a "stop doing" list. I have found so much liberation in doing just a few things well, and I have really been working on streamlining and delegating tasks in my life to allow more free space for myself.

Why You Need to Create a Stop Doing List

Three strategies that have been helping me to carve out more free space in my day and live are:

1. Waiting to check email until after 12:30 p.m.

This has made a massive difference in my life. I thought I had to be on top of email, but I realized that this was my own personal obligation, and that I can choose when I check my email.

It has been liberating to have an email-free morning without distractions.

2. Thinking three to four times before saying yes.

This is something I've really, really been working on. I've always been a "yes" girl. I want to help everyone in every way with everything. And that's a surefire recipe for exhaustion!

Lately, I've made it a goal to really think about whether or not I truly have the time to commit to something. Instead of just instantly trying to figure out a way to make something happen, I instead think about the sacrifices it will require, the other responsibilities that may fall by the wayside as a result, and whether there is room on my calendar.

As an Introvert, I've realized I have a lot less capacity than an Extrovert might have. I can't just go-go-go-go. Or flit from activity to activity to activity without time to breathe and rest and refuel in between. I'm trying to do a better job of reminding myself of this, as well.

This past Saturday, I asked my friend if we could push our regular coffee date back two hours and meet at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. since I knew I'd be exhausted from my book launch and traveling. Giving myself grace to sleep in and have a leisurely Saturday morning before our coffee date made the day go so much better… and I wouldn't have thought to ask about this had I not taken a few minutes to think before saying "yes" when she texted to ask if we could meet on Saturday.

Why You Create a Stop Doing List

3. Asking My Husband Before Making a Commitment

My husband knows me better than anyone else in the world, and I've found that he has such great wisdom when it comes to helping me determine what to say yes to and what to say no to. Sometimes, I'll totally convince myself that I have the time and energy to do something, but then when I ask him, he'll help me think more realistically about the situation.

For instance, I was asked to go out to dinner with some dear friends who were in town on Sunday night. I wanted to say yes, but we already had our community group that night and the dinner was going to be quite a ways away from our house.

As much as I would have loved to say yes to a fun dinner out with friends, my husband helped me realize I needed a quiet evening at home after a big week. As I considered things more, I knew he was right. And a quiet Sunday evening ended up being exactly what I needed!

What's on YOUR Stop Doing List? Or what do you need to put on your Stop Doing List? 

:: How I Make a Full Time Income as a Stay at Home Mom + 7 Secrets to Success

How I Make a Full Time Income From Home plus 7 Secrets to Success

My good friend, Laurie, has a great post up on how she makes a full time income as a stay-at-home mom, plus she shares 7 secrets to success. Here's a snippet:

I gotta tell you, this post is a little hard for me to even write. 

If you knew me in real life, you'd know I'm so not one to consider myself a "successful" anything, but I guess looking at the numbers, PPP would be considered a success.

Pure craziness I tell ya'.

I started blogging completely (seriously, totally)  on a whim, and never ever would have believed one day I'd make a full time income from my little blog. Back then I read Crystal Paine of Money Saving Mom's series "How To Make Money Blogging" and thought just maybe it would work, but really couldn't believe people actually made money online each day.

At that point my kids were ages 2, 6, and 9, and I knew that I wanted to earn extra income from home especially as they were getting older and heading off to school. I'd stayed home with them since my oldest was born, and while I'd taken on a few jobs here and there (I gave violin lessons, taught preschool, and did some data entry work), I primarily was a stay-at-home mom. I started obsessively clipping coupons back in 2006 (folks, I was nuts), so the idea of potentially earning an income from home while telling other folks how to save intrigued me.

Read the full post here.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: Save on select body washes at Walgreens + win a $100 Walgreens gift card!

Walgreens Body Wash Deal

Walgreens wants to help you and your family have softer, smoother skin this winter by offering savings on a variety of body washes. From refreshing scents to rich moisturizers, there's a body wash for everyone.

Through November 14, 2015, you can get buy one, get one 50% off participating Dove, AXE, and Suave bar and body wash products at your local Walgreens store. You can also get 1,000 Balance Rewards points when you buy 2 or more participating Dove, Caress, or Suave bar and body wash products.

On top of that, be sure to check your Sunday newspapers for additional coupons to help you save even more on these deals!

Choose from the following products that are included in these promotions:

AXE White Label Night

  • Designed for an immaculate clean to give you the freshest start to your day.

Caress Daily Silk

  • Infused with the delectable fragrances of white peach and a blend of silk blossom.
  • Formulated with triple silkening moisturizers to leave skin irresistibly silky-soft.

Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort

  • Ultra-light formula refreshes for a clean, total skin comfort and hydrates for healthier, stronger skin.

Dove Deep Moisture

  • Provides softer, smoother skin after one shower.
  • Improved body wash formula, now even gentler, with the rich lather you love.

Suave Ocean Breeze

  • Infused with Vitamin E, Ocean Breeze body wash leaves your skin feeling fresh, while invigorating your senses with a subtle breezy scent.

Would you like to win a $100 Walgreens Gift Card?

I've got a $100 Walgreens gift card to give away this week! To enter to win, just head over to this post on my Facebook Page and leave a comment sharing which body wash product you would most like to try. I'll choose one winner from the comments to win a $100 Walgreens gift card!

{This post was underwritten by Lunchbox. Read my disclosure policy here.}

You received this email because you are registered on www.moneysavingmom.com with the email address panatllc1.kate@blogger.com. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, you can easily unsubscribe here.
Money Saving Mom
2020 Fieldstone Parkway, Suite 900 #313
Franklin, TN 37069
© 2008-2015 Money Saving Mom, LLC. All rights reserved.