Monday, September 21, 2015

How I Quit Smoking (The Frugal Way) and more...

 
Money Saving Mom

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

Here's What's New
How I Quit Smoking (The Frugal Way)
Pumpkin Spice for Not-A-Latte

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 2.56.03 PM

make-over-your-mornings-300x250 (1)

:: How I Quit Smoking (The Frugal Way)

quit smoking

Guest post from Mary of Adventures In Frugal Land

This is one the hardest posts I've written. Not because I need to do a lot of research for it. It's hard because I'm going to admit to something that I've been ashamed of for years.

I began smoking a few years ago.

I wasn't a teenager; I was an adult who knew better.  I can't rely on "peer pressure" as an excuse. No, I began smoking because of a choice I made, not because of anyone else.

For years, I struggled with the shame of it. I would carry perfume and mints with me everywhere. I would try to hide it when I went to church. I felt like I was the biggest hypocrite. I hated it and I hated myself.

I'm sharing this post because I know there are other people who wish they could quit smoking but feel as if they can't. I know that if I was able to beat the addiction and begin living again, you can do it too!

1. I purchased Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book.

This book really helped me get in the right mindset. Allen Carr's method is to show you the psychologically behind a smoking addiction and tools to beat it. You can do it without the book.

2. I set a date.

I chose the day after I finished reading Allen Carr's book. Do not set the date too far away from now. Try to schedule your quit day within the next week or two. It's helpful to arrange it so it's on a weekend or another day you're off from work.

3. I loaded up on supplies.

Epsom salt, essential oils (if you like them), a ton of good books or movies, snacks, LOTS of water, and mints or gum. When you're purchasing snacks, try to find things that are easy to snack on throughout the day such as peanuts or sunflower seeds.

4. I didn't tell everyone that I was quitting.

This step is very important. Once you tell everyone, then you're going to get constant questions about how you're doing. Wait at least a week to tell the "non-essential" people in your life. Essential people to tell may include the family you live with, your children (powerful motivators!) and one or two close friends.

5. I actually quit on my quit date.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF ALL. Once you quit: say NOPE. Not One Puff Ever. That's it.

6. I cut myself some slack.

You will get irritable (at least I did!) It's not going to be the easiest thing to accomplish. Don't try to plan many activities during the first few days. Try to stay home and relax.

7. I took many hot Epsom salt baths.

I'm not sure why this helped me so much. But whenever I got a really bad craving in the first few days, I would drink a glass of water and get into a hot Epsom salt bath until it passed.

Some days, I took multiple baths. I believe it did help release the nicotine out of my system quicker. But that may be just my brain thinking that. It helps. I don't know why.

8. I set reminders in my phone.

The first three days, I had alerts going off every half hour telling me phrases like "Tomorrow isn't going to be easier than today. Get it over with now", "Is the craving worth the health ramifications?" and "Be a good example to your daughter".

I also kept a written list of reasons I was quitting with me. I referred to it often.

9. I refrained from talking with people who never smoked.

I envy those people, I really do. I love them… but they don't get it. So instead of getting frustrated, I just stayed away from those people for the first few days.

You might not need to do this, but it really got on my nerves when people who have NO CLUE try to give advice when I'm in withdrawal from nicotine.

10. I treated myself to something nice.

A new book you've wanted to read, an outfit, or a haircut. Take the money you would have spent on cigarettes and use it for something fun.

I found it interesting that even after purchasing the supplies I deemed "necessary" and my "treat", I still spent under what I used to spend on a month's worth of cigarettes.

I understand some people feel that using nicotine patches and gum are beneficial to quitting; however, I do not believe they are helpful, at least not for me.

I've tried them in the past. All they do is prolong the quitting process. At some point, you WILL have to go into withdrawal. Whether it's from a cigarette, a patch, gum, or an e-cig, it's going to happen if you truly want to kick the habit. I like to see results, so I opted for doing it all at once.

If anyone needs any support or has any questions about the process, I am here and more than happy to help.

If you have successfully quit, what tips do you have for everyone else?

Mary is the mother of an energetic four-year-old daughter. She is passionate about bringing awareness to thyroid disease. You can find her blogging at Adventures In Frugal Land about thyroid disease, motherhood, frugal living and whatever else pops into her head!

photo source

:: Pumpkin Spice for Not-A-Latte

pumpkin spice not a latte

Love pumpkin spice flavor but without all the extra calories and sugar that come with a latte? Check out this easy way to add pumpkin spice for not-a-latte to your morning coffee!

make-over-your-mornings-468-60

You received this email because you are registered on www.moneysavingmom.com with the email address panatllc1.kate@blogger.com. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, you can easily unsubscribe here.
Money Saving Mom
2020 Fieldstone Parkway, Suite 900 #313
Franklin, TN 37069
© 2008-2015 Money Saving Mom, LLC. All rights reserved.