Sunday, May 17, 2015

What My 10-Year-Old Daughter is Teaching Me About Courage & Confidence and more...

Money Saving Mom

600x100

BYB-Week1

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 4.11.07 PM

Here's What's New

:: What My 10-Year-Old Daughter is Teaching Me About Courage & Confidence

What My 10-Year-Old Is Teaching Me About Courage & Confidence

Dear Kathrynne,

You don’t often show up in pictures or stories on this blog because when I ask for your permission to post things about you, you usually ask that I don’t share them. And that is completely okay. I respect that and want to honor you in that regard.

However, I am so thankful that you gave me permission to write this post. Because it’s something I’ve wanted to share for a long time.

Thank you for how you constantly challenge me to be myself. To not worry about what other people think. To let my personality on the inside shine out on the outside.

What My 10-Year-Old is Teaching Me About Courage & Confidence

As your mom, I couldn’t be prouder of you. Maybe our tastes in clothing are completely different. Maybe there are moments when I wish that you cared just a little bit more about what you wear. But then I realize, that’s my pride — and that’s me caring more about what other people think than about letting you be who God created you to be.

I’m so glad that you care so much more about people’s hearts and about reaching out and helping people than you do about what people think about you. I’m so glad that you are confident in your own unique style and personality. I love how you rock those gym shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes like nobody’s business.

I am so inspired by your desire to attract friends who really care about you as a person and who want to love you for who you really are than about trying to change who you are in order to have other people like you.

What My 10-Year-Old is Teaching Me About Courage & ConfidenceScreen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.24.22 PM

Thank you for how you continually encourage me to be true to who I am. To blog authentically. To live authentically.

Thank you for how you challenge me to stop caring what other people think and to be all that God has created me to be. Your courage and confidence as a person has motivated me to “come out of my shell” little bit by little bit.

You’ve challenged me to post more of the real-life stuff. To let people into our home and life — even when it’s messy and chaotic. To be okay that who I really am is not necessarily going to be exactly who people want me to be — but it’s going to be true and true is always better than fake.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.25.50 PM

I’ve seen you step outside of your comfort zone in big ways this past year. You’ve joined the swim team, you’ve poured hours and hours into swim practice, you’ve worked hard to improve your strokes, and you’ve faced your fear of competing in front of large crowds.

Other people had no idea that you were sick to your stomach about having to step up on those starting blocks and dive into the water, but I knew. And my heart wanted to burst when I saw you hold your head up high, dive in, and attack the water.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.25.12 PM

Moving away from your home and relatives and friends was very hard for you. But you bravely faced many new things — a new neighborhood, new church, new routines, new friends, and a new lifestyle.

You’ve experienced loneliness. We’ve cried together over what we left behind. And then you’ve dried your tears, punched fear in the face, and met new family after new family and went into new situation after new situation.

It hasn’t been a smooth ride for you, nor us. But you’ve trusted God through it, talked openly with us about your fears and hurts and sadness, and pressed forward — embracing the newness and choosing to live fully right where you are.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.24.48 PM

Thank you for how you love well, care deeply, and give generously. I couldn’t be more proud to be your mom.

You are one-of-a-kind and God has some great adventures for you in your future. Keep charging ahead with brave resolve, contagious courage, and unshakeable confidence.

I love you, sweet girl. You’ve forever changed my life.

Love,

Your Grateful Mom

      

:: Gretchen’s $55 Grocery Shopping Trip and Menu Plan

DSC_0177

Homeland

1 Angel Soft Toilet Papter – $1.59, used $0.45/1 coupon (doubled) (I can’t figure out where this came from) – $0.69 after coupon

1 Kellogg’s Special K Crackers – $1.99, used $1/1 printable from email (doubled) – Free after coupon

3 Dannon Oikos Yogurt – $0.88, used $1/3 printable (doubled) – $0.21 each after coupon

1.53 lbs Tomatoes @ $0.99/lb – $1.51

1 Best Choice Dozen Eggs – $1.19

2 Cucumbers – $0.59 each

1 All Laundry Detergent – $3.33, used $1/1 printable (doubled) – $1.33 after coupon

1 Louana Canola Oil – $2, used $0.50/1 printable (doubled) – $1 after coupon

Buy 5 participating items, Get $2 off instantly:

3 Red Gold canned Tomatoes – $0.35 each, used $0.55/3 printable (doubled) – Free after coupon

1 Red Gold Ketchup – $0.49

1 Red Gold Salsa – $0.69

Total after coupons and sales: $8.66

DSC_0176

Dillons

1 gallon Dillons Milk – $2.50, used $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $2.20 after rebate

1 loaf Bread – $3.39, used $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $3.09 after rebate (Ouch! This price makes me wish I lived closer to an Aldi where I can get their bread for $0.89.)

4 Totino’s Pizza – $1.25 each, used $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $1.18 each after rebate (This was a request by my husband…I refuse to eat frozen pizzas but he grew up on them.) :)

1 pkg English Muffins – $1.99

1 box Cheerios – $3.29, used Free e-coupon that was sent to me – Free after coupon

1 Oscar Mayer Sliced Ham – Marked down to $1.29

1 Hillshire Farms Naturals Sliced Turkey – $3.99, used $0.50/1 e-coupon – $3.49 after coupon

1 Sargento Sliced Cheese – $2.50

2 cans Kroger Beans – $0.69 each

3 Breyers Ice Cream – $2.99, used $1.25/3 e-coupon AND $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $2.47 each after coupon and rebate (We’ve been having a LOT of company at the last minute recently so I was happy to stock up on this. Ice cream is always a great thing to serve company.) :)

1.77 lbs Bananas @ $0.59/lb – $1.04, used $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $0.74 after rebate

1 bag Kroger Flour – $1.79, used $0.40/1 e-coupon – $1.39 after coupon

1 Kroger Peanut Butter – $2.19, used Free e-coupon that was sent to me – Free after coupon

4 Moms Best Cereal – $1.50 each, used $1/1 e-coupon and $0.75/1 e-coupon and $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $0.98 each after coupons and rebate

1 bag Kroger Spinach – $2.50

1 Romaine Lettuce – $0.99, used $0.30 Ibotta rebate – $0.69 after rebate

1 bag Kroger Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – $6.99, used $1.45/1 e-coupon – $5.54 after coupon

1.04 lbs Broccoli @ $0.99/lb – $1.03

2.71 lbs Fuji Apples @ $0.99/lb – $2.68

Total after coupons, sales and rebates – $46.56

Total for both stores: $55.22

Menu Plan for This Week

Breakfasts

Toast & Eggs x 3

Cereal x 3

Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches (I will freeze several of these.)

Lunches

Turkey/Fruit/Veggies/Cheese x 2

Macaroni and Cheese, Sliced Apples

Spinach Smoothies x 2, Crackers

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Fruit/Veggies

Leftovers

Dinners

Pizza, Tossed Salad

Tacos

Chicken Fajitas, Steamed Peas

Chili, Biscuits, Veggies

Salad Bar, Homemade Bread

Roast, Potatoes, Green Beans

Chicken with Tomatoes and Mozzarella, Tossed Salad

      

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: 21 Surprising Stats About How Much Clutter We Really Have

21 Surprising Stats About Clutter

Woah! This article on Becoming Minimalist was pretty astounding.

Here’s a snippet:

Today, increasing data is being collected about our homes, our shopping habits, and our spending. The research is confirming our observation: we own too much stuff. And it is robbing us of life.

Here are 21 surprising statistics about our clutter that help us understand how big of a problem our accumulation has actually become.

1. There are 300,000 items in the average American home (LA Times).

2. The average size of the American home has nearly tripled in size over the past 50 years (NPR).

3. And still, 1 out of every 10 Americans rent offsite storage—the fastest growing segment of the commercial real estate industry over the past four decades. (New York Times Magazine).

You’ve got to go read the rest of the 21 Stats on Clutter over here.

Thanks to Amy for the link to this article!

      



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.