Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My Very First Tough Mudder Experience (& how I shocked myself by loving it!) and more...

 
Money Saving Mom

600x100

Here's What's New
My Very First Tough Mudder Experience (& how I shocked myself by loving it!)
10 Goals For This Week + a peek at our new homeschool curriculum/schedule
Get a great deal on Vaseline Spray & Go Lotion + enter to win a $50 Walgreens gift card (5 winners)
ALDI Meal Plan: 20 Grilling Meals for $155!

BYB-Week1

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 4.11.07 PM

:: My Very First Tough Mudder Experience (& how I shocked myself by loving it!)

My First Tough Mudder Experience

Yesterday, I did something way outside my usual comfort zone. And I completely surprised myself by loving it…

What was it, you ask? Well, I ran in and finished my very first Tough Mudder race.

Yup. I did.

For those of you who haven't heard of the Tough Mudder race, here's how they describe it on their site:

My Very First Tough Mudder Race Experience

Now here's the thing you should know: I didn't really know much about the race and only signed up two weeks ago on a whim.

Jesse had been signed up for it and anticipating it for months. He and his brother, Stephen, were planning to run it together and his parents were coming into town to cheer them on.

He and I have always wanted to run a race together, but we've never been able to work out childcare to make it happen. As I was thinking about the race two weeks ago, I realized that since his parents would be here, our childcare issues would be solved. And I knew Jesse would love, love, love for me to run the race with him

So I got rather spontaneous and out-of-the-blue asked him if he thought I could run the race. He gave me a rather shocked expression, but said he thought I could. So I blew him away by saying, "Well, I was thinking of signing up for it and running it with you."

I wish you could have seen his face. HE WAS ECSTATIC and he literally immediately got online and signed me up (maybe he wanted to do it before I changed my mind?!)

My First Tough Mudder Experience

I didn't have much time to train except to mentally prepare for it to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. I decided to approach it like childbirth and I figured that if I had naturally birthed three kids without any pain killers taking one contraction at a time, this would be how I would approach this race, too.

I didn't spend a lot of time researching the obstacles - I figured that would just scare me more. Instead, I researched what would be best to wear. I found out that good, lightweight shoes, leggings (not shorts - your legs would get really scraped up), rubber gloves with good grip with the ends cut off (so water wouldn't get lodged inside of them), and a really strong hairband were the most important things.

My First Tough Mudder Experience

So I prepped by making sure I had the best outfit for the race, getting good sleep every night for the few nights before, and eating extra carbs the day before, and. It was the best I could do in that short amount of time - and I ended up being so glad that I had done so.

My First Tough Mudder Experience

We got up early yesterday morning to drive to a farm that was about an hour and a half away. The whole drive there, I wondered if I had made a big mistake in signing up. I wondered if I'd be able to actually complete the race. I wondered if I'd be the last person to come in. I wondered if I would keel over halfway through.

I second guessed my on-a-whim decision a lot, but I kept reminding myself: You're committed now. Just go do your best. Pace yourself. Don't let doubt get in your head. Don't worry about the few miles ahead of you, just take the next step.

unnamed

As we stood at the starting line, Stephen, Jesse and I discussed our goals for the race and why we were doing this race. I said, "I'm doing this for my husband because I know that doing this with him means the world to him. My goal is just to finish. I don't care about my time. I just want to finish."

We talked about how we'd stay together, work as a team, encourage one another, pace ourselves, and just take one mile and one obstacle at a time. And that's exactly what we did.

The first mile was uphill almost all the way and it was brutal. I wondered what I had gotten myself into and how on earth I was going to survive 9 more miles plus a bunch of obstacles.

Then we came to the first obstacle - the Mud Mile - where you have to jump into multiple 8-10 foot deep mud pits that are filled with about 2-3 feet of mud at the bottom and then you have to figure out a way to get out.

I stood at the beginning of it and saw all of the people completely covered in mud and thought, "This is INSANE!" But then I jumped in and started slowly working my way through the obstacle - with lots of help from the group. I quickly found it wasn't all that bad. I got into a rhythm of sliding down the muddy side into the mud pit and then getting help with hoisting myself up to the other side and then doing it again.

It was at this first obstacle that I began to realize what the Tough Mudder is all about. There's no way you can do this race without the help of your teammates. You just can't - unless you are superhuman or something. You need a hand (or multiple hands) to help pull you up out of the pits. And you need people around you encouraging you as you do these seemingly impossible tasks.

As I watched everyone in our group - most whom we'd never even talked to before starting the obstacle - work together and encourage one another, I fell in love with the Tough Mudder.

To see people come together, work together, encourage one another, to see big muscular guys needing help just as much as small women like me, to experience the instant camaraderie, to witness how helpful and selfless everyone was, to see how committed everyone was to making sure no one was left behind and that everyone got through the obstacle… it was incredible, inspiring, and infectious.

My First Tough Mudder Experience

When I finished this obstacle, I was covered in mud, but I didn't care because not only had I gotten through the first obstacle, I'd actually had fun doing it!

And right then and there, I realized I just might actually end up liking this whole Tough Mudder thing - instead of being miserable like I thought I'd be.

Over the next 4 hours, we faced 9 more miles of terrain - about half of which was uphill at a pretty steep incline. And we faced lots of obstacles, including the following:

It was hard, but not as bad as I'd expected. Jesse and Stephen stayed with me the whole time and were incredibly encouraging to me - pushing me on and motivating me to keep going even when I was tired.

I did things I never would have thought I was capable of (like the Cry Baby - where you had to crawl through a maze with blinding tear gas, Everest 2.0 - I made it to the top in one try!!, the Arctic Enema which was intense and freezing, and King of the Swingers - where you had to leap off a tall platform, grab a bar, and swing out into a lake of mud).

There were many times when I'd think, "There's no way I can do that, but I'm just going to go out there and try." And I did.

My First Tough Mudder Experience

I didn't complete all of the obstacles perfectly, but I gave them my best shot. The only one that I completely bypassed was Funky Monkey - because I have never been able to monkey bars and I had already told myself I got a pass on that one lest I kill my shoulders and have to bow out of the race before it was over with.

But for all the rest of the obstacles, I made myself at least give them my best shot. And, I totally surprised myself when there were only two other obstacles that I couldn't fully complete.

I jumped into, slid through, walked through, climbed on hands and knees through more mud than I've ever seen in my life. You should know that I don't like mud or being dirty at ALL, but I got over the ick factor quickly and just focused on the task ahead.

One step at a time, one mile at a time, one obstacle at a time, we got through it and had so much fun in the process.

My First Tough Mudder Experience

And let me tell you, when we crossed under the finish line and got our finisher headbands, I felt completely exhilarated - WE DID IT!!!

Truthfully, I thought I would probably be miserable the whole race. My goal had just been to go out there and have a good attitude, give it my best shot, hopefully finish, and make a memory with my husband.

Instead, I completely shocked myself by loving almost everything about the race. In fact, I was already talking about signing up for another race before I was even to the finish line of this one! It might sound crazy, but it's true.

My First Tough Mudder Race

{The girls (and Jesse's youngest brother, Jon) did a Mini Mudder - I'll share pictures of that tomorrow. We were SO proud of them!}

This race challenged me as a person and finishing it will give me courage and motivation for years to come to keep putting myself out there, doing hard things, not letting fear of failure hold me back. We are often so much stronger than we believe ourselves to be.

I am sore today. Like Can-Barely-Walk-Up-The-Stairs sore. But it was oh so worth it!

:: 10 Goals For This Week + a peek at our new homeschool curriculum/schedule

So, it was a rather eventful weekend (more on that in a post later today!) and I am crazy sore from it, so I decided to skip my usual Monday morning Cleaning Project post and am just taking it super easy today.

We're winding down our 2014-2015 school year and getting ready to gear up for our 2015-2016 school year. Since we travel multiple times during the school year and we find it works better to have a steady routine and rhythm going all year long, we usually don't take much of a summer break.

We do have a more relaxed school schedule in the summer, but we still stick with most of the studies and projects like usual - mostly because we love learning and reading together so we might as well just keep going. :)

10 Goals for This Week

When this box came in the mail this past weekend was like a homeschool mom's Christmas!

Jesse and I spent way too long looking at curriculum options and discussing/planning this next year. We had so much fun thinking of what would be best for our kids and what would work best for this season of our lives.

We finally landed on Sonlight Core D for me to teach all three kids together in the mornings and Jesse's going to teach Math, Language Arts, and Science in the afternoons (we're using Monarch Online for those subjects). This is our first year to do Sonlight and I am stoked about it!

I'm also completely spoiled because Jesse and I are splitting the homeschooling responsibilities this year. He took over some of the homeschooling this past year and loved it so much that he wanted to continue co-homeschooling.

I love that the kids get to spend so much one-on-one and one-on-three time with him as a result and that he's so invested in their education. I know that this set-up wouldn't work for a lot of families and situations, but it is such a great fit for our family right now.

Goals from two weeks ago:

Marriage/Mothering/Homemaking Goals

1. Take Silas on a special one-on-one outing for his birthday.

2. Write a love note to Jesse.

10 Goals For This WeekBirthday outing with Silas

3. Go through Kathrynne and Silas' clothes & get rid of what no longer fits them.

Personal Goals

4. Exercise at least 3 times.

5. Finish reading at least one book.

6. Listen to at least two inspiring audios/podcasts while working/driving.

Local Ministry/Hospitality/Friendship Goals

7. Get caught up on thank you note writing.

8. Finish reading a friend's manuscript & writing an endorsement for it.

Business Goals

9. Outline/write 3 substantive blog posts for next week.

10. Finish tweaking my presentations/slides for the Arlington Homeschool Conference this weekend.

10 Goals For This Week

At the Arlington Homeschool conference

This week's goals:

Marriage/Mothering/Homemaking Goals

1. Start our new homeschool routine/curriculum.

2. Write a love note to Jesse.

3. Get caught back up on the laundry (I'd been doing SO good with this - until I went out of town for 5 days! Determined to get back on top of this again!)

Personal Goals

4. Exercise at least 3 times.

5. Finish reading at least one book.

6. Listen to at least two inspiring audios/podcasts while working/driving.

7. Go to bed by 10:30 p.m. every night.

Local Ministry/Hospitality/Friendship Goals

8. Have a coffee date with a new friend.

Business Goals

9. Record a short video for a project.

10. Get all details finalized for the Make Over Your Mornings Course Launch.

What are your goals for this week? I'd love to have you share your progress on last week's goals and your goals for this coming week in the comments. Of, if you've blogged about it, leave your direct link below. Let's cheer each other on to live purposeful and productive lives! You can download a free customizable weekly goal-planning sheet here.


21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: Get a great deal on Vaseline Spray & Go Lotion + enter to win a $50 Walgreens gift card (5 winners)

Walgreens Deal on Vaseline Spray & Go Lotion

Right now, you can save on Vaseline Spray & Go products at Walgreens.

Not only are they on sale, Buy One, Get One 50% off through the end of this week (May 23, 2015), but you'll also receive 1,000 Balance Rewards Points when you buy 2 (through May 30, 2015).

Plus, there was a coupon in yesterday's paper good for an additional $2 off! This coupon is valid through June 1, 2015.

Keep your skin moisturized, including those hard to reach places, with Vaseline Intensive Care Spray & Go moisturizers. Vaseline Spray & Go Moisturizer comes in three different varieties:

  • Vaseline Intensive Care Essential Healing Spray Moisturizer - formulated with pure oat extract to help repair dry or damaged skin.
  • Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe Spray Moisturizer - formulated with pure aloe to help soothe dryness associated with sunburns.
  • Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Radiant Spray Moisturizer - formulated with pure cocoa butter to help give your skin a healthy glow.

Would you like to win a $50 Walgreens Gift Card?

I've got 5 $50 Walgreens gift cards to give away this week! To enter, just leave a comment on this post telling me what you'd spend your gift card on. We'll choose five winners later this week and email them to claim their prize.

(Note: This post is underwritten by Lunchbox. Read our disclosure policy here.)

:: ALDI Meal Plan: 20 Grilling Meals for $155!

Grilling-Meals-FB

Lauren from I Am That Lady has put together another one of her very popular ALDI meal plans. She has a list of 20 different recipes you can make using ingredients from ALDI for just $155.

You can purchase the grocery list and extras for a small fee or you can just get the list of recipes for free.

You received this email because you are registered on www.moneysavingmom.com with the email address panatllc1.kate@blogger.com. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, you can easily unsubscribe here.
Money Saving Mom
2020 Fieldstone Parkway, Suite 900 #313
Franklin, TN 37069
© 2008-2015 Money Saving Mom, LLC. All rights reserved.