Friday, February 27, 2015

I found my happiest place on earth! and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 12.20.40 PM

Banner 1 300x250 (1)

Here's What's New

:: I found my happiest place on earth!

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.53.28 PM

The second to last day in South Africa, we visited the Maubane Community and participated in their children’s church service. There are not words to describe how incredible this experience was.

You see, most of these children live right across the street from this colorful playground (that you helped build!) in little homes — mostly made of cast-off supplies they’ve recycled into building materials. Many of these children don’t have parents or their parents are working in the city so they don’t see them but maybe on the weekends.

The majority of these children know hunger and want as a daily part of their lives. They have very few possessions and very little to look forward to. Despite all that, every Sunday, these children gather with Pastor Norman for an exuberant children’s church service.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.51.59 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.52.26 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.53.58 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.54.19 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.54.40 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.54.50 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.55.09 PM

To see these children joyfully and enthusiastically clapping and shouting and singing about the goodness of God… it was soul stirring.

I didn’t understand a lot of the words they were saying and shouting and singing at the top of their lungs, but I didn’t need to. Their enthusiasm, their heart, their hope, their happiness all spoke louder than words ever could.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.56.16 PM

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.55.54 PM

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.55.43 PM

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.55.31 PM

After they were finished with their church service, the toddlers were called over to line up for food. They had a very special treat that day — Walkie Talkies (i.e. chicken feet & chicken beaks). The leaders there told me that it is rare for them to have meat so this was a very special occasion for them. {Take Action Ministries paid for some of the locals to make this for them as a treat because we were going to be there visiting.}

The leaders also told me that they have the toddlers line up first to give the older children a short break from caring for their younger siblings. Since there are so few parents around in this community on a daily basis, the older children often have to look after their younger siblings much of the time.

These older children shoulder a great deal of responsibility and burden and the church leaders try to give them a break as often as they can by having the toddlers all line up and sit down to eat together so the older kids can talk and play together.

We spent some time hanging out with the older kids. Taking pictures, laughing, talking, and even being quite goofy (as those who know me well know I am an expert at!)

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.57.55 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.57.25 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.56.29 PM

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.52.47 PM

I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but pretty soon, different children just randomly started coming up to me and hugging me. From the littlest ones to the teens, they all seemed desperate for love and affection. And the more kids who hugged me, the more the line grew of kids wanting to be hugged.

As more and more children hugged me and held on tightly, my heart began feeling like it just might rip into shreds. I tried to look into each child’s eyes and also speak words of life:

“You are loved.”

“You matter.”

“God has something special for you to do.”

“I love you.”

I felt so overwhelmed by the needs. It wasn’t just the need for food and shelter and clothes and schooling. More than any of that, these children are starving for love. To know that someone cares about them. To know that they have value.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.58.07 PM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.52.59 PM

As I found myself surrounded by these beautiful children, I wanted to just weep and laugh at the same time. Because I knew then and there that, going forward, one of my callings in life would be to see to it that none of these children in the Maubane Community go hungry again.

That none of them die from disease. That none of them miss out on an education. But most importantly, that I do all I can to provide opportunities for them to know that they are loved — not only by other people, but by a Heavenly Father who created them and has infused them with gifts and talents and worth.

Right there, on the red dirt of South African soil in that huddle of children, I discovered my happiest place on earth.

Somewhere deep in my soul, I felt right at home. Right where I was supposed to be. Doing what I was created to do. The only that would have made it more complete would have been to have my husband and children by my side experiencing it with me.

unnamed

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.53.11 PM

When I finally had to say goodbye, I could barely keep back the tears. One boy who was around 13 years old asked me, “Why are you going?”

I thought, “Trust me, child, I’m asking the same thing!”

But instead, I told him: “I will come back.”

And, by the grace of God, I will. I will come back as often as I can. And when I’m not there I will carry the stories and the faces and the hugs with me everywhere I go.

Because I left part of my heart behind in South Africa. And I will never be the same.

P.S. Thank you, thank you, thank you to each of you who have joined me in this cause that I have become fiercely passionate about. I know not everyone has the wiggle room in your budget to give money and not everyone is called to give to this project, but you have no idea how humbly grateful and excited I am that 130 of you have joined Lisa-Jo and me in making a difference in these poor communities in South Africa!

Your partnership in the #TenDollarTribe is going to make a major difference in the lives of all of the children you see pictured in this post plus many more. And it thrills my heart!

    

:: Who says you can’t save on whole foods?

freshthymesavings

Does your area have a Fresh Thyme Market? If so, you must go check them out!

Laurie from Passionate Penny Pincher wrote a post on the amazing deals she got there recently. Read her post here.

    

Survey Spot

:: New family-friendly YouTube app!

YouTube Kids Screenshot

Remember my post on 50 Shades of Frustration? Well, guess what? YouTube heard the voices of thousands of parents across the country and is launching a new YouTube Kid’s app.

Here are a few of the features of this new kid-friendly app:

Family-focused content
For years, families have come to YouTube, watching countless hours of videos on all kinds of topics. Now, parents can rest a little easier knowing that videos in the YouTube Kids app are narrowed down to content appropriate for kids.

You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore. Or search for videos of particular interest to your family, like how to build a model volcano, math tutorials, the amazing (and endless) world of trains—and everything in between

Parental controls
We realize every family is different, so we’ve built options into the app that help you control the experience for your kids:

  • Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don’t have to. (You’re welcome. ;) )
  • Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while you catch a breather.
  • Search settings: If you’d rather limit your children to just the pre-selected videos available on the home screen, you can turn off search.
  • Product feedback: Our goal is to improve YouTube Kids all the time, so we’ve included a space for you to give us your feedback.

This app is available now for Android devices on Google Play, and iOS devices on the Apple App Store.

Thanks, Ashley!

    

:: 3 Ways to Get Cash for an Unwanted Gift Card

Cash-for-Gift-Cards-683x1024

The Creative Recycler shows you 3 Ways to Get Cash for an Unwanted Gift Card. Do you have any suggestions to add to her list?

Psst! Don’t forget to sign up for Swagbucks so you can earn free gift cards, too!

    



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.