Saturday, February 14, 2015

How I save money on greeting cards - and actually guarantee that I send them out! and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

300x250fcartoon

CL_banner_300x250_3

Here's What's New

:: How I save money on greeting cards — and actually guarantee that I send them out!

greeting cards

Rachel from OrdinaryHomemaker emailed in the following tip:

I love sending greeting cards to people. It’s such a great way to encourage and stay in touch with family and friends. Unfortunately, it can also be very expensive and many simple birthday cards are around $5 each!

Also, it can be hard to keep track of all the birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions. I recently got married, so adding in my husband’s side of the family made things even more expensive and complex!

I want to share with you a simple two-step system that will save you money, keep you organized, and help you never forget to send another card.

STEP 1: Purchase all the cards you plan to send in a year at one time.

Buying all your cards at once saves you a lot of time and money in the long run. I usually purchase my cards in the 2/$1.00 section at Dollar Tree, so I end up paying just $0.50 per card!

Bring a list to the store of all the friends and family members you plan to send cards to throughout the year so you don’t forget anyone. I often buy a few extra “generic” cards so I have some spares on hand in case there’s anyone I forgot.

You could save even more money buying pre-packaged boxed cards, although they are often not as specific to the occasion.

STEP 2: Organize your cards by month in a hanging file system.

I have 12 hanging files in my file box – one for each month of the year. I use my monthly files to store anything specific to that month (for example, if we have tickets to a concert in March, the tickets would go in the “March” folder). You could also use an accordion file, or a binder with divider pockets for this purpose.

After my trip to stock up on all my cards, I put a sticky-note on each card with the name and date of the birthday (for example “Dad – July 21″), and drop it into the correct monthly folder.

At the beginning of each month, I pull out the stack of cards for that month and get them ready to go.

Using this method is so simple and easy. It cuts out all those last-minute trips to the store when I suddenly realize Grandma’s birthday is in two days!

You can easily purchase and file all your greeting cards for the year in just a few hours, and it makes the rest of the year so convenient.

Rachel is a stay-at-home wife who enjoys reading, playing the piano, and spending time with her husband. She blogs about finances, devotional ideas, organizing, recipes, and more at OrdinaryHomemaker.

photo source

    

:: 5 Frugal Ways to Show Love on Valentine’s Day

5 frugal ways to show love

Guest post by Abby Winstead Wandering

Valentine's Day is a polarizing holiday. On one side, you have Team "every day should be a celebration of love." Those people argue that February 14, is a "Hallmark holiday", a day manufactured by greeting card companies and chocolate makers to boost sales. They say that, if you really love someone, you'll spend all 365 days each year showing it.

On the other side, you have Team "Valentine's Day is a day for you to lavish me with all the presents I didn't get at Christmas". That team asserts that… well, I'm not sure what their reasoning is.

I fall somewhere in the middle. In no way do I think V-Day should consist only of the obligatory exchange of gifts. I also don't think it's necessary to skip the day altogether. I think that, like Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day should serve as a reminder to treasure the things and people we should be grateful for every day.

For those of us who want to find a way to our love to the special people in our lives without breaking the bank or giving into the commercialization of the holiday, I have 5 ideas to help you out!

1. Write a love letter.

There are a hundred little things about my husband that I'm thankful for each day. From his patience with the kids during bath time to his enviable laundry skills, I'm constantly reminded of why I love him.

While we both say "I love you" on a daily basis, we rarely expound on the reasons why. Annual birthday and anniversary cards are about it. I know both of us would be thrilled to receive a handwritten letter from the other identifying all the reasons we're still so happy to be a part of this marriage.

2. Do something they love.

My husband and I have divergent interests. He loves playing golf and watching futuristic TV shows, and I love spending time in the kitchen and watching cheesy dramas. Shock your spouse this year by planning a day dedicated to something he or she loves!

3. Give the gift of alone time.

I love my husband. I love our children. But from the time I was young, I've occasionally needed time alone to recharge. I'd guess that many parents are the same way. As much I love being with the ones I love, sometimes it's necessary to have a break from questions and diapers and being “on”.

I never want or need much time to myself; I usually only last a few hours before I begin to miss the noise and the sloppy kisses.

This Valentine's Day, giving the gift of alone time can be a thoughtful no-cost or low-cost gift. Consider allowing your spouse to get out and about alone, or maybe with a friend. A few hours sipping fancy coffee or browsing a favorite store might be the perfect gift. Or, if possible, take the kids out or to visit family while the other parent hangs at home, napping or catching up on a favorite show.

4. Take a walk down memory lane.

If your relationship is anything like mine, it has evolved over the years. The new and exciting affection of the early years has been replaced by a deep, steady love born out of confronting the raw realities of life together. That transition is natural and necessary.

I wouldn't trade the lessons we've learned or the way we've grown with each other for anything, but it's easy to get caught up in the details of day-to-day life. Sometimes it's nice to remember the people we were when we fell in love nearly ten years ago (or more!) This February 14, dig out those old photo albums and love notes. Remind yourselves of the reasons you fell in love.

5. Prepare a special meal.

Tastes and smells have the power to take us back in time the same way sights and sounds do. Think back over the course of your relationship, particularly the beginning, and focus on the meals you enjoyed together.

What stands out in your mind? Maybe it's the cuisine you enjoyed on your first date, or the first time he made you breakfast in bed. For dinner on Valentine's Day, recreate that special meal in your own kitchen.

What are your favorite frugal ways to show your love?

Abby is the wife of a patient man, mom to their two baby bears, and teacher of some cool kids. She loves dark chocolate and pretty napkins; the kitchen is her happy place. She lives in Mississippi and blogs at Winstead Wandering, where she shares the wandering thoughts of one who is not lost.

photo source

    

Survey Spot



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.