Saturday, July 19, 2014

Gretchen's $62 Grocery Shopping and Weekly Menu Plan and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

UNI_SC_Dove_SS_BannerV2_300x250_062314

WM_Suave_ESP_Refresh_OMP_Moroccan_300x250_011514

Here's What's New

:: Gretchen’s $62 Grocery Shopping and Weekly Menu Plan

DSC_0026

Health Food Store

I stopped by my local health food store this week right and scored quite a few good deals! I will be freezing a lot of these things so they will last longer.

5 pints Blueberries – $0.99 each (This is cheaper than Aldi!)

2 Organic Girl Greens – Marked down to $0.99 each

1 Super Crackers – Marked down to $0.99

1 Rudi’s Cracked Wheat Bread – Marked down to $0.99

1 Udi’s Gluten/Dairy Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread – Marked down to $0.99

1 pkg Pita Bread – Marked down to $0.99

Total with tax: $11.66

DSC_0028
Aldi

1 dozen Eggs – $1.29

1 gallon Milk – $2.69

1 Cottage Cheese – $2.29

1 Carrots – $0.99

1 can Black Beans – $0.59

1 bag Oranges – $2.99

1 Celery – $1.19

1 Flour Tortillas – $1.19

1 Old Fashioned Oats – $2.29

1 Cauliflower – $1.69

3 Cucumbers – $0.59 each

1 Strawberries – $1.25

1 Salsa – $1.69

Total with tax: $23.48

DSC_0027
Dillons

1 Welch’s Natural Jelly – $2.99

3 Chicken of the Sea Tuna – $0.79 each, used $0.75/3 printable - $0.54 each after coupon

1 Kroger Natural Peanut Butter – $1.67

2 Mott’s Fruit Snacks – $1.50 each, used $0.60/2 printable - $1.20 each after coupon and I will get $0.50 back from SavingStar

1 Angel Soft Bath Tissue – $1.25

1 Kroger Table Salt – $0.49

1 Kroger Baking Powder – $1.19

2 Chex Mix – $1 each, used $0.60/2 printable - $0.70 each after coupon and I will get $0.50 back from SavingStar (We have a vacation coming up in a few weeks and I thought these would be great for the trip. I always try to plan ahead and keep my eyes open for good deals on snacks starting several weeks before a vacation.)

1 Green Giant Sweet Potato Chips – $1, used $0.50/1 e-coupon - $0.50 after coupon

1 bag Kroger Brown Rice – $1

2.30 lbs Bananas @ $0.59/lb – $1.36

1 Red Leaf Lettuce – $0.99

0.55 lbs Broccoli Crowns @ $1.59/lb – $0.87

1 Kroger Detergent – $3.99, used Free coupon from mailer – Free after coupon

1 Suave Shampoo – $1.99, used $2/1 coupon from mailer – Free after coupon

3 Kraft Shredded Cheese – $2.99 each, used $1.50/1 e-coupon - $2.49 each after coupon (This e-coupon stated that I could use it up to 5 times in one transaction but it only came off once. I was terribly disappointed because I could have gotten the cheese cheaper at Aldi. Oh well!)

Total before coupons and sales: $50.52

Total with tax after coupons and sales: $27.31

Total for all grocery items: $62.45

Menu Plan for this Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast/Eggs, Homemade Juice, Smoothies

Lunches

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Tossed Salad x 2 with Cinnamon Raisin Toast, Fruit/Veggies/Crackers, Pita with Cheese

Dinners

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole, Tossed Salad

Spaghetti Pie, Blueberry Muffins, Tossed Salad, Green Beans

Black Bean Quesadillas, Steamed Cauliflower, Fruit

Salad Bar, Freezer Biscuits

Deer Roast, Carrots, Potatoes, Canned Peaches

Blueberry Waffles, Scrambled Eggs

Grilled Chicken, Tossed Salad, Steamed Cauliflower, Sliced Cucumbers

    

:: Weekend Giveaway: Juno Classic City Bag from Okiedog (3 Winners)

image

Okie Dog is is giving away three of their classic Juno City Bags — a bag that would work great as a diaper bag, a cute bag to take with you on trips, to the pool, or just to have as your everyday purse or bag. It’s functionally designed, with hidden pockets on the outside for easy access, practical interior pockets, and high quality materials.

unnamed

Amy, who blogs at Amy’s Finer Things, is part of the MoneySavingMom.com team, and just had her sixth baby, offered to review this bag for us. Here’s her review:

I’m not a city girl, but I am a busy mom of six who is constantly schlepping around all.of.the.things! After carrying around a diaper bag for the past 11 years, I can confidently say I am quite weary of cutesy, bulky bags and have no tolerance for anything that doesn’t function for both purse and baby stuff.

The Juno won me over because of its style and functionality. There are so many pockets, which eliminates digging to the depths of the bag for the lost lip balm. I also appreciate the easy-clean, solid nylon material that I’m not embarrassed to carry into the store even on the rare solo grocery shopping trip.

Find out more about Okie Dog and the bags they carry here. If you’d like to order a bag, you can use discount code MSM2014 to get 20% off any product from the Luxe Line through August 31, 2014.

Would you like to win a FREE Juno Classic City Bag? Just click on the graphic below, type in your name and email address, and you’ll be entered to win one of three bags I’m giving away this weekend. This giveaway ends Monday, July 21, at 11:59 pm, CST. Three winners will be chosen and posted next week.

Enter the Giveaway

 

    

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

:: Free Back to School Walmart Price Comparison Sheet

freeprintablecheatsheet

Are you in the midst of back to school shopping and want to make sure you’re getting the best deals?

Here’s a free printable Back to School Walmart Price Comparison Sheet so you could track what the regular, everyday prices are at Walmart and make sure that deals you find at other stores actually beat out those prices.

    

:: Brigette’s Bulk Foods Grocery Shopping Trip

We’ve been traveling the past few weeks, visiting family and friends, so I haven’t done any weekly grocery shopping. I DID, however, visit a couple of my favorite places while we were back in Michigan (where we used to live).

We discovered the Amish bulk foods store by accident one day, years ago, when driving around. It is not advertised and doesn’t have a phone number or website! It is the cheapest place I have ever found wheat kernels (no tax or shipping!), and I have been a loyal, happy customer for many years.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I divide the 50-lb bags into ziptop bags and store them in the freezer

Countryside Bakery and Bulk Foods

(2204 29 Mile Rd, Homer, MI 49245)

1 50-lb bag Prairie Gold Hard White Spring Wheat Kernels – $27.95

1 50-lb bag Oats – marked down to $16.95

1 3-lb bag Cocoa Powder – $14.95

(16 oz Cinnamon – $2.49) My sister-in-law actually bought this for me and gave it to me ahead of time – but I am including it in the picture because it came from this store and I was planning on purchasing it.

4 oz. Ground Ginger- $1.99

Total: $61.84

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

J and D’s Honeybees

(13521 Allman Road, Concord, MI 49237)

1 gallon (12.5lbs) of Raw Honey – $37.50 (We actually bought four gallons while we were there, but only one is for us. This is the best, cheapest place I have ever found raw honey. We’ve paid as little as $25 a gallon over the years we’ve been buying from them, but apparently this was a really bad year for the bees and there is a shortage of honey so the prices are up. It’s still worth it to this honey-loving family!)

Total: $37.50

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 Sam’s Club

2 (54-oz) jars Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil @ $15.00 each – $30.00

Total: $30.00

Grand Total for all Bulk Purchases: $129.36

I didn’t plan a weekly menu this week as my kitchen is undergoing a major renovation over the next few days and it’s almost impossible for me to cook in it right now. My older three children are staying with grandparents all week, so my husband and I are kind of in eat-whatever-you-can-find-that-doesn’t-require-kitchen-prep mode, supplemented by the occasional out-to-eat treat. :) Looking forward to getting back to a more normal schedule soon!

    

:: Swagbucks Pays for my Gluten-Free Flours

IMG_0262

Today's Swagbucks success story is from Mallory

I love to bake, so when I found out I was allergic to wheat and gluten about two years ago, it was a rough transition. I eventually found some good recipes and resources — the next challenge was finding the right ingredients.

It’s difficult to find gluten-free flours for a good price in our small town, but after doing some research, I found a good deal on Bob’s Red Mill brand cases of gluten free flour on Amazon.com and starting ordering from there.

Then, a little over a year ago, I learned about Swagbucks and how it worked here on MoneySavingMom.com!

When I first signed up with Swagbucks, I didn’t really know what I was doing and felt like I was doing well if I earned enough for a $5 gift card every month. Now, I am able to get $15-$20 per month by doing the following:

1. Doing the NOSO every day

2. Answering the poll and doing to corresponding activity

3. Using the toolbar

4. Running videos for a large chunk of the day

5. Using the search bar

This has been a great help and has paid for many cases of gluten-free flours. Now I can continue to bake and feed good food to the people I love!

    




Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.