Saturday, September 15, 2018

A movie, an online class, and an Aldi trip and more...

Welcome to my weekly Slow Day post, inspired by Monica from The Homespun Heart. My Word for 2018 is Slow and, in the spirit of that word, I'm taking one day each week (Wednesday) off — I'll be unplugged and offline and plan to move at a slower ...

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

A movie, an online class, and an Aldi trip

Welcome to my weekly Slow Day post, inspired by Monica from The Homespun Heart. My Word for 2018 is Slow and, in the spirit of that word, I'm taking one day each week (Wednesday) off — I'll be unplugged and offline and plan to move at a slower pace, take time to do things that refresh me, and just really focus on being present and savoring the moment.

Each week, I'll be sharing a photographic peek into my Slow Day. Enjoy a little peek into our lives!

I started the day attending chapel at Silas and Kaitlynn’s school.

I love getting to sit with them and spend a little time in their world on Wednesdays.

And then I headed to Discipleship Group.

We kicked off our Lesson 1 meeting by talking about stories and how each of us have a story — and how in light of the Gospel, we can see Creation, the Fall, Redemption and Restoration in our stories.

In our small group time, we each had to draw a picture of a little screenshot of where we’re at in life right now and share that with our group (how we’re feeling right where we’re at in life). This brought such honest discussion and we had really heartfelt conversations as a result.

After Discipleship Group, Jesse and I went to a movie together. (Middle of the day dates are the BEST!)

We saw Mission Impossible: Fallout — which we both enjoyed, though it made me want to go back and watch the rest of the Mission Impossible movies.

After I helped the kids with homework, I laid down and read a little bit and then took a power nap.

And then it was time for dinner and to prep for my online blogging class that I was teaching. (Brian on my team came over to help run the class and get everything set up for it!)

{By the way, I wanted to teach this class during a middle of the week evening, but the only free night that worked to do it was Wednesday. Even though it’s my off day, I made an exception and did it. And I actually really enjoyed doing it on a Wednesday since I felt like I came to the class so fresh and ready to teach after being offline all day!}

We sometimes get creative in how we set things up! This time, we used a huge stack of my coloring books to hold my computer! 🙂

When I was finished, Jesse was on his way home from picking the girls up from church.

(By the way, Jesse and Silas went to Aldi for me while I was doing the class. He said that they split up and both took half the list. Silas told me how it compared prices and made sure to get the store brand not the name brand and the best deal on everything. While it’s pretty simple an easy to do this at Aldi, it made my mama heart so happy to hear him doing this all on his own! I feel like I have accomplished a big life goal that he knows how to grocery shop on a budget and find the best deals!)

I got everything ready for the Eat at Home Challenge live video (since I was going to be working out with my friend, Melissa, at 6:15 a.m. the next morning and was supposed to be on live video at 6:50 a.m.!)

I even washed the potatoes and had them ready to go!

Kaitlynn finished up some homework while I worked in the kitchen.

And Silas made a bedtime snack of macaroni and cheese. (That boy loves his mac & cheese!)

Then, we all hung out and talked for awhile and then the kids went to bed and I worked on prepping for podcast interviews the next day. And then it was time to bed for me, too!

    
 

Brigette’s $62 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

Aldi

1 gallon Whole Milk – $1.36

1 16-oz carton Heavy Whipping Cream – $1.55

2 64-oz cartons Orange Juice – $3.38

1 10-lb bag Russet Potatoes – $3.89

1 bag Frozen Mixed Veggies – $0.75

2 16-oz bags Shredded Cheddar Cheese – $4.30

2 1-lb boxes Butter – $3.98

2 cans Condensed Tomato Soup – $0.90

2 cans Diced Tomatoes – $0.70

1 32-oz carton Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt – $3.29

1 pkg Fresh Zucchini – $1.49

2 pkgs Strawberries – $2.18

1 3-ct pkg Multi-Colored Peppers – $1.49

1 pkg Broccoli Crowns – $1.29

1 bag Green Grapes (2.94lbs @ $0.79/lb) – $2.32

2 heads Cauliflower – $3.58

1 pkg Romaine Hearts – $1.99

1 bag Fresh Green Beans – $1.39

2 bags Baby Carrots – $1.58

1 pkg Baby Lettuce – $1.89

1 bag Radishes – $0.49

1 16-oz bag Mini Cucumbers – $1.69

1 6-ct pkg Blueberry Applesauce Cups (sugarless) – $1.39

1 box Rice Squares – $1.79

1 bag Gluten Free Pretzels – $1.75

1 box Cheddar Crackers – $1.49

1 pkg Rice Cakes – $1.15

1 pkg Cream Cheese – $0.65

2 dozen Eggs – $2.26

1 pkg Hotdog Buns – $0.65

2 pkgs Kaiser Buns – $1.99 (I bought these because there was no sandwich bread left in the store…or at any store in the entire city. Sandwich bread is a hurricane staple in the South, y’all! :))

Total: $58.60

Harris Teeter

10 cans Green Beans – $2.90

1 Eggland’s Best Eggs – $2.00, used $0.55/1 Eggland’s Best Eggs – 9-9-18 RMN (exp. 12/09/18) (doubled) – $0.90 after coupon

1 jar Simply Ragu – $1.25, used $0.75/1 Ragu Simply Pasta Sauce – 8-26-18 SS; Includes 24 oz Only (exp. 09/23/18) (doubled) – FREE after coupon

Total: $3.80

Free Produce from a Friend’s Garden

More Freebies (and that’s a second bucket of Okra!)

Grocery Total for the Week: $62.40

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Everyone is responsible for making/cleaning up their own breakfasts. Choices include:

Cereal, Oatmeal, Fruit, Yogurt, Boiled/Fried/Scrambled Eggs, Veggie Omelets, Smoothies

Lunches

Turkey Meat/Lettuce/Tomatoes on Kasier Rolls, Grapes, Carrots x 2

Pretzels/Cheddar Crackers, Strawberries, Cucumbers, Cheese Sticks

Build-Your-Own-Salad Bar (Chopped Romaine, Cut Up Veggies and Fruit, Nuts, Shredded Cheese, Craisins, Hard Boiled Eggs, Dressing), Kaiser Rolls

Leftovers x 3

Dinners

Eggplant Lasagna, Homemade French Bread, Tossed Salad, Green Beans

Shepherd’s Pie (recipe from a church cookbook), Steamed Broccoli, Fruit Salad

Cheesy Hamburger Potato Soup (I’ll use venison instead of ground beef), Italian Breadsticks, Fresh Veggies and Dip

Chicken Pot Pie, Steamed Cauliflower, Marinated Tomato Salad with Herbs (I grow pots of herbs on my back screened-in porch, so I always have fresh herbs to use this time of year)

Mexican Lasagna, Tossed Salad, Apples

Hotdogs (I “found” a package in the freezer that needs to be used up!), Baked Homemade French Fries, Fried Okra

Venison Roast in the Crockpot, Garlic Mashed Cauliflower, Roasted Okra, Easy Homemade Biscuits