Saturday, March 24, 2018

Slow Day: Week 12 and more...

Welcome to my weekly Slow Day post, inspired by Monica from The Homespun Heart. My Word for 2018 is Slow and, in the spirit of that word, I'm taking one day each week (Wednesday) off — I'll be unplugged and offline and plan […]

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

Photobucket

Slow Day: Week 12

Welcome to my weekly Slow Day post, inspired by Monica from The Homespun Heart. My Word for 2018 is Slow and, in the spirit of that word, I'm taking one day each week (Wednesday) off — I'll be unplugged and offline and plan to move at a slower pace, take time to do things that refresh me, and just really focus on being present and savoring the moment.

Each Saturday, I'll be sharing a photographic peek into my Slow Day — and I'll let the pictures almost 100% speak for themselves, instead of giving many explanations. Enjoy a little peek into our lives!

Homemade Pancakes in the car on the way to school… because some mornings, you just do the best you can do, eh? 🙂

I was supposed to teach on parenting at Discipleship Group this morning but because of Jesse being in Peru and then coming back super sick and me spending most of afternoon and evening before at Urgent Care with him, I didn’t have a chance to work much on my talk until Wednesday morning.

I jotted down some of my notes for my talk in the parking lot after dropping Kaitlynn and Silas off at school and while waiting to take Kathrynne to school (she had a later start than usual because they were going on a field trip).

I had some notes for the talk already on my computer, so I used my notebook for the first part of the talk and my computer for my second part of the talk. I had planned to print my notes, but when I went home to quickly finish doing my hair and makeup and make sure Jesse had everything he needed (since he was still sick), I couldn’t get the printer to work.

So I literally just used my computer and notebook when I gave the talk. Yet again, sometimes you just do what you have to do!

I shared some from my talk here and here. And here’s the book (Mom Set Free) I highly recommended that people read.

I met a friend for a quick lunch after Discipleship Group and then went home to check on Jesse. He was doing a lot better (thank you, Jesus, for medicine!) and I convinced him to ride in the car to school pick-ups.

I took his picture (mostly because I was so excited he was up and feeling better!) and he was pretending he didn’t want me to take his photo so he covered up his face with his phone. 😉

After school pick-ups, I dropped the girls off and then took Silas to his flag football practice. It was cold outside, so I stayed in the car and read my Bible and answered texts.

After football, I took Kathrynne to youth group at church and met a friend for tea until it was time to pick Kathrynne up. And I can’t even remember if I did anything else or went straight to bed.

I guess you could say I spent most of my Slow Day in the car! 😉

    
 

Brigette’s $82 Grocery Shopping Trip, Zaycon Order, and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

Aldi

1 large Spiral Sliced Ham (12.95lbs @ $0.95/lb) – $12.30

1 pkg Penne Rigate – $0.79

1 pkg Organic Linguini – $1.09

1 jar Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – $1.99

1 jar Balsamic Vinegar – $1.99

1 can Parmesan Cheese – $1.99

1 16-oz bag Shredded Cheddar Cheese – $2.05

1 12-oz bag Shredded Colby Jack Cheese – $1.65

2 64-oz cartons Orange Juice – $2.98

1 gallon Whole Milk – $1.36

1 16-oz carton Heavy Whipping Cream – $1.55

1 32-oz carton Half and Half – $1.59

2 16-oz cartons Egg Whites – $3.98

2 dozen Eggs – $1.96

1 jar Organic Ketchup – $1.49

1 Pancake Syrup (this was before I realized it was on sale at Harris Teeter – oops!) – $1.19

5 individual Greek Yogurts – $2.75

1 Pineapple – $0.79

1 Cantaloupe – $0.99

1 Personal-Size Watermelon – $1.89

1 bag Green Grapes (2.83lbs @ $0.99/lb) – $2.83

1 tub Organic Spring Mix – $3.79

1 pkg Broccoli Crowns – $1.45

2 pkgs Romaine Hearts – $3.98

1 bag Mini Sweet Peppers – $2.05

2 bags Baby Carrots – $1.38

1 bag Mini Cucumbers – $1.75

1 Cauliflower – $1.89

1 bag Radishes – $0.59

1 bag Zucchini – $1.49

1 loaf Sandwich Bread – $0.65

1 pkg Hamburger Buns – $0.59

Total: $68.81

Harris Teeter

2 boxes Cheerios – $3.48, used $0.75/2 General Mills Chex, Cheerios, Wheaties, Basic 4, Raisin Nut Bran, Oatmeal Crisp, Total, or Nature Valley Boxed Cereal – 3-11-18 SS (exp. 04/21/18) (doubled) – $1.98/2 after coupon

2 jars Ragu – $2.50, used $0.75/2 Ragu Sauces – 3-4-18 SS; Excludes 14 oz (exp. 04/01/18) (doubled) – $1.00/2 after coupon

1 jar Mrs. Butterworth’s Pancake Syrup – $1.64, used $0.50/1 Mrs. Butterworth’s Lite, Original Or Sugar Free Syrup – 1-7-18 SS (exp. 04/07/18) (doubled) – $0.64 after coupon

1 5-lb pkg Pillsbury Bread Flour – $1.97

2 jars Wishbone Salad Dressing – $2.78, plus receive $1 catalina wyb 2 – $1.78/2 after coupon

2 pkgs Perdue Short Cuts Grilled Chicken – $4.00, used 2 $0.75/1 Perdue Refrigerated Fully Cooked Product – 2-11-18 RP (exp. 03/25/18) (doubled) – $1.00/2 after coupons

4 pkgs McCormick Brown Gravy Mix – $2.00, used 2 $0.50/2 McCormick Gravy Mixes – 3-18-18 RP (exp. 04/22/18) (doubled) – FREE after coupons

1 pkg Tortillas – $0.89

6 cans Pinto/Black Beans – $2.22

6 cans Green Beans – $2.22

Total: $13.70

Zaycon

I’ve been purchasing all my boneless chicken breasts through Zaycon for the past several years. They are fresh (never frozen) and extremely affordable! I always wait until they go on sale for $1.49/lb. If you don’t mind purchasing in bulk, I highly recommend checking to see if Zaycon offers a drop-off in your area.

40lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – $58.59

~Used $29.78 of referral credit

Total: $28.81

Grocery Total for the Week: $82.51, PLUS a $28.81 Zaycon Order 

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Everyone is responsible for making/cleaning up their own breakfasts. Choices include:

Cereal, Oatmeal, Fruit, Toast, Fried/Boiled/Scrambled Eggs

Lunches

Cheese Quesadillas, Fruit, Carrots

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Grapes, Carrots x 2

Build-Your-Own Tossed Salad Bar (Grilled Chicken, Craisins, Shredded Cheese, Fresh Chopped Veggies, Romaine/Spring Mix Dressing) x 2

PB and J on Hamburger Buns, Carrots/Cucumbers, Yogurt

Leftovers

Dinners

Pan Fried Catfish (A friend gave us 2 HUGE gallon sized bags full of freshly caught and filleted catfish! This will last us for about 4 meals, so most of it went into the freezer), Pineapple, Green Beans, Biscuits

Ham and Broccoli Quiche, Watermelon, Tossed Salad, Make-Ahead Butterhorns

Best Turkey Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Broccoli

Crockpot Italian Chicken, Tossed Salad, Easy Whole Wheat Bread, Creamy Milk Rice

Ham and Bean Soup, Cornbread (family recipe from my husband’s side), Fresh Veggies with Dip

One Pot Chicken AlfredoFocaccia Bread, Tossed Salad, Cantaloupe

Dinner at Cracker Barrel with Friends