Sunday, February 6, 2022

How to Respond When Someone is Frustrated and more...

One of the kids woke up really frustrated recently. In all honesty, I wanted to respond back in frustration… because it felt like a really “silly” thing for them to be upset by. But if I’ve learned anything in over 17 years of mothering, it’s ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

How to Respond When Someone is Frustrated

One of the kids woke up really frustrated recently. In all honesty, I wanted to respond back in frustration… because it felt like a really “silly” thing for them to be upset by.

But if I’ve learned anything in over 17 years of mothering, it’s this: responding in frustrating to a child who is frustrated never ends well. Just trust me on this.

So instead, I took a deep breath, leaned on the Holy Spirit, and asked them to share what was wrong.

They had a lot to vent out right then & I purposely just listened. I wanted to try to come up with some quick fixes or solutions, but I could tell that’s not what they needed. They just needed a listening ear that said: “I care. You are valued. What matters to you, matters to me.”

After they had poured out their big feelings, I asked how I could help. There wasn’t much I could do, but I could tell that just that simple question brought some relief to them. It communicated that they weren’t alone. That I was *with* them. That they didn’t have to shoulder this all on their own.

And then I asked them what they could do about it. Instead of me trying to swoop in and fix things, I wanted to let them process through what they were feeling and come up with next steps.

We didn’t tie everything up with a neat bow, but my posture of leaning in and loving and seeking to walk beside de-escalated the situation so that by the time they walked out the door to leave for school, they were feeling much calmer and less stressed.

Mamas: we set the tone for our home. We can’t fix all our kids’ struggles. We can’t solve all our kids’ problems, but we can walk with them. We can communicate to them, “I’m here. I love you. I’m FOR you. And I’m not going anywhere.”

There might need to be some hard conversations or consequences or addressing heart issues in days to come — after a child/teen is in a better headspace — but in the moment when our kids are feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, they just need to know we are there. They don’t need our lectures; they just need our presence.

“What’s wrong?” “How can I help?” These two questions and the willingness to listen well can make a huge difference in our relationship with our kids.

In this week’s episode of The Crystal Paine Show, Jesse and I share more about how to respond when our kids (or anyone in our life!) is frustrated. Plus, I share a crazy travel story from my recent trip, and we talk about books and reading.

In This Episode

[00:34] – Welcome to another episode of The Crystal Paine Show.

[01:15] – What to do when your child is frustrated.

[02:00] – I have a travel “horror” story to share today.

[04:02] – While I was stuck in Charlotte for four hours, my phone was starting to run out of battery.

[07:46] – Word to the wise: if there is wet carpet in the airport don’t assume that it’s water spilled.

[08:41] – What I recently finished listening to.

[09:57] – A letter from a listener about Jesse’s advice on reading.

[12:05] – Are you making progress over who you were yesterday?

[12:35] – Jesse shares his book update.

[13:49] – How to help a child who is frustrated…

[16:02] – Ever been frustrated at someone for being frustrated (oh! the irony!)

[17:52] – Instead, stepping back and asking for God’s help

[19:13] – Question #1: “What is wrong?”

[21:23] – Question #2: “How can I help you?”

[22:39] – Question #3: “What can you do about it?”

[23:53] – Practice the art of asking questions versus telling someone how they should feel or respond.

   
 

My 2022 Goals: January Update

I spent some time the past few days reviewing my goals for 2022 and was so thrilled with the progress I made in January! Here’s an update on each goal:

Myself

1. Go through 5 She Reads Truth studies for the year. (I’ve been loving going through these studies again this past year, but I realized that it’s better for me to go through much more slowly than what they designate the pace should be. I usually take 2-4 days on each day and that’s worked out well for me so that I’m really soaking the verses and learning from the passages.)

January update: I finished the Old Testament study in January and have started the New Testament book. I hope to have finished it by March or so.

2. Finish at least 4 books a month. (Last year, I set the audacious goal of reading three books per week. I ended up falling very short of that. So this year, I decided to set a much more realistic goal. I hope to exceed this goal by a lot, but we’ll see! And if you missed it, I’m setting monthly goals instead of yearly goals for reading — and I’m really excited about this approach!)

January update: I finished 9 books in January — yay! You can see all my book review posts here. And here’s my list of books I plan to read in February.

3. Complete at least 1 craft per month. (I plan to use some of the craft kits that I’ve gotten from Annie’s Creative Girls’ Club and Annie’s Creative Woman Craft Club. Since so many of you purchased the fantastic deals I posted from them, they signed me up for both subscriptions as a thank you! While crafting is not something I’m really gifted at, I find that it is relaxing for me and something that challenges creative parts of my brain that I don’t use very often!)

January update: I made stacking bracelets in January (see above). I love them and wear them often!

Motherhood

4. Have a monthly date with each of the three older kids. (I’m planning on having the kids help me decide what they’d like to do each month. I love hanging out with my kids and I cherish our time together even more as they get older.)

January update: I watched hours of ice-skating with Kaitlynn when we were both home sick instead of going to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in person like we’d planned. Kathrynne and I went to a movie and Silas and I went out for smoothies.

5. Read 10 chapter books aloud to Kierstyn and Baby D. (I’ve been reading a Bible story from The Jesus Storybook Bible and a chapter from a read-aloud book each afternoon before their naps. While they are little and much of it is over their heads, I love to establish this habit when my kids are tiny so that it becomes an important part of their family culture for the most formative years of their life. Plus, it’s fun for me!)

January update: We almost finished The Jesus Storybook Bible and have read about 40 pages of our current read-aloud. I’m hoping to make better progress on this goal in February!

Marriage

6. Have a monthly date with Jesse. (While we hope to occasionally get an actual date night out, with multiple little kids, we want to be realistic… so we plan to at least do one Date Night in a Box kit at home every month — even if we can’t get out for a real date every month).

January update: Jesse and I went out to a local restaurant for dinner to celebrate our anniversary — thanks to a gift card his parents gave us for my birthday!

MoneySavingMom

7. Finish my next book draft. (The first draft is due to my publisher mid-February. Then, we’ll be going through multiple rounds of edits before it goes to the printers. It’s slated to release in spring 2023!)

January update: I made some great progress on the book draft in January and it’s getting close to being ready to turn into my publisher to start the big editing process!

How are you doing on goals for 2022? Let us know in the comments!

   
 

Money Making Mom Book