Saturday, August 29, 2020

The One Book I Read Last Week (+ what I'm reading right now!) and more...

Welcome to my weekly book update post where I share what books I read this past week + my honest thoughts and star ratings of them. A Word on My Star Ratings The star ratings I give the books I read are based on a 5-star rating system. I rarely will ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

The One Book I Read Last Week (+ what I’m reading right now!)

Welcome to my weekly book update post where I share what books I read this past week + my honest thoughts and star ratings of them.

A Word on My Star Ratings

The star ratings I give the books I read are based on a 5-star rating system. I rarely will ever give a book a 1-star rating (maybe never?), because my philosophy is that if a book is only worthy of one star, I’m more than likely going to quit reading it. 🙂 In the same vein, you’ll also notice that I’ll rarely give a 5-star rating as I reserve those for only my very, very favorite books.

Want to see all of the books I’ve read so far this year? Check out my Good Reads page.

Last week, I finished one book and here is my review…

You Be You: Why Satisfaction and Success Are Closer Than You Think

I wasn’t sure what I was going to think of this book when I was sent a pre-release copy. The title felt like it could be one of those self-help books that might just encourage women with platitudes like, “Be your best self” or “If you hustle hard enough, you can be anything you want to be.”

I was hopeful that wasn’t the case — and I was thrilled to discover that this book wasn’t anything about worn-out cliche phrases or vague platitudes. Instead, it was packed with encouragement to seek the Lord, live into our callings, and glorify Him with our lives.

In fact, I love how Jamie Ivey addresses the motivational sayings at the beginning of the book and says,

“That’s the danger in these sayings. They can’t hold up under the pressures of the world. Because, no, you’re not enough, girl. You ain’t got this. You can’t hustle enough, can’t get enough things done. You can’t do everything you set your mind on, no matter how badly you want to do it. You don’t control your own destiny, because the One who made you has the days of your life already numbered, planned, and written for you. And sometimes, life can be so hard that there aren’t enough bootstraps in all the world to pull yourself up with.”

The book is filled with Jamie’s personal stories, practical advice, and spiritual insights to help us, as women, use our gifts and talents to make a difference in this world.

Here was one of my favorite quotes from the book:

If you struggle with knowing what God has called you to do, you’re wanting to make a difference but you just don’t know how to do that, or you wrestle with how to use your gifts and talents for the glory of God, this book will be an encouragement to you. I’m excited to get to have Jamie on my podcast soon and we’ll dive deeper into how to walk this out.

Verdict: 4 stars

Picture Book: Ten Little Night Stars

This is a sweet and colorful book that the author sent to the babies. It’s a fun counting book that is great for reading before bedtime!

What I’m Currently Reading

I may have bitten off more than I can chew when it comes to books this week. I just can’t help myself!! I have shelves of books I want to read and now that I have more time to read since the babies are a little older and the kids are back in school, I just want to read all the books!

Here’s what I’m currently reading: Atomic Habits, Fully Alive, You Who, A Very Bavarian Christmas (pre-release copy), The White Rose Resists

What have you read recently? I’d love to hear! Tell us in the comments!

    
 

Brigette’s $93 Weekly Grocery Shopping Trip and Menu Plan for 6

My older sister, Brigette, shares her shopping trips and menu plans every week! You can go HERE to see all of her weekly menu plans and you can go HERE to read all about her family!

Aldi

1 gallon 1% Milk – $1.47

1 gallon Whole Milk – $1.47

1/2 gallon Almond Milk – $1.49

1 32-oz carton Half and Half – $1.55

1 32-oz carton Egg Whites – $2.95

2 dozen Eggs – $1.08

1 24-oz carton Cottage Cheese – $1.59

4 single-serving Greek Yogurts – $2.36

2 pkgs Romaine Hearts – $4.30

1 pint Grape Tomatoes – $1.39

4 pkgs frozen Broccoli Florets – $3.56

1 large tub Organic Spring Mix – $3.49

4 cans Green Beans – $1.52

1 bunch Bananas ($0.38/lb) – $0.79

2 3-ct pkgs Colored Peppers – $4.58

1 pkg fresh Zucchini – $1.59

2 bags frozen Cauliflower Rice – $3.78

1 3-ct pkg fresh Garlic – $0.95

1 Cantaloupe – $0.99

1 Cauliflower – $2.25

1 pkg Mini Cucumbers – $2.09

1 pkg fresh Broccoli Crowns – $1.78

2 bags Red Grapes ($0.99) – $4.58

1 bag Baby Carrots – $0.89

1 3-lb bag Pink Lady Apples – $3.79

1 3-lb bag Mandarins – $2.69

1 2-lb bag Peaches – $1.99

2 loaves Sandwich Bread – $1.34

1 pkg Tortillas – $1.35

1 pkg Hamburger Buns – $0.85

1 pkg Rice Cakes – $1.29

1 bag Veggie Chips – $1.95

1 1-lb box Butter Quarters – $1.99

1 8-oz pkg Sliced Cheese – $1.29

3 8-oz pkgs Mozzarella Cheese – $3.87

2 8-oz pkgs Cheddar Cheese – $2.58

1 16-oz pkg Deli Meat – $2.49

2 large cans Chicken Breast – $3.98

1-lb Sausage – $1.89

1 pkg Pepperoni – $1.99

1 can Baking Powder – $0.99

1 large box Honey Nut Oats – $1.99

1 large box Rice Squares – $1.49

1 box Cinnamon Crunch Squares – $1.19

Total: $93.48

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Everyone is responsible for making/cleaning up their own breakfasts. Choices include:

Oatmeal, Cereal, Eggs, Fruit, Toast, Yogurt, Smoothies, Cottage Cheese, Scrambled/Boiled/Fried Eggs

Lunches

Cheese Quesadillas, Cantaloupe, Carrots x 2

Deli Meat/Cheese Sandwiches, Chips, Grapes, Peppers x 2

Leftovers x 3

Dinners

Spaghetti (using from-scratch marinara sauce, thanks to generous homegrown tomato donations from friends who garden!), Tossed Salad, Broccoli, Easy Italian Breadsticks

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy, Green Beans, Fruit Salad

Chicken Pot Pie, Tossed Salad

Venison Roast, Fried Cauliflower Rice, Baked Potatoes, Tossed Salad

Pepperoni Pizza, Broccoli

Barbequed Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes, Tossed Salad, Green Beans

Leftovers