Saturday, August 15, 2020

My Honest Review of The Giver and more...

Welcome to my weekly book update post where I share what books I read this past week + my honest thoughts and star ratings of them. A Word on My Star Ratings The star ratings I give the books I read are based on a 5-star rating system. I rarely will ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

My Honest Review of The Giver

Welcome to my weekly book update post where I share what books I read this past week + my honest thoughts and star ratings of them.

A Word on My Star Ratings

The star ratings I give the books I read are based on a 5-star rating system. I rarely will ever give a book a 1-star rating (maybe never?), because my philosophy is that if a book is only worthy of one star, I’m more than likely going to quit reading it. 🙂 In the same vein, you’ll also notice that I’ll rarely give a 5-star rating as I reserve those for only my very, very favorite books.

Want to see all of the books I’ve read so far this year? Check out my Good Reads page.

Last week, I finished one book and here is my review…

The Giver by Lois Lowry

It’s rare that I re-read books, but every once in awhile, I enjoy a book enough to re-read it. The Giver was one such book. It’s intriguing and makes you think at a deep level.

I don’t know that “enjoy” is necessarily the word I would use to describe my feelings on it. Maybe “genuinely thought-provoking” would be a more accurate phrase.

Kaitlynn and Silas actually suggested that I read it aloud to them, so that’s actually what motivated me to pull it out. Silas hadn’t read it before and it sparked so many great discussions. And when I ended the book this time, I had a different take on the conclusion than I did last time.

Here’s my review that I wrote when I read the book back in 2017 and it’s still valid:

Finally, I read The Giver for the first time. And you guys, I don’t quite know what to say about this book. At first, I was so frustrated by the ending. That’s it?!?! No! There has to be more!

And then I had to ponder and ponder over the book. I couldn’t get it out of my brain. What am I missing? Why is it haunting me?

The more I pondered, the more I really started to love the book and the powerful way it reminds us that without pain and suffering, we can’t experience emotional connection or truly feel at a deep level. If we took all of the pain away from the world, it would also take away so much depth and the ability to experience life in full color.

I wished I would have read this book with a book club. And I totally understand why some people love it and some people don’t like it at all. Have you read it? If so, I’d love hear your thoughts on it.

Verdict: 4 stars

Picture Book: Pat the Bunny

Jesse’s parents gave Kierstyn this book recently and we’ve loved it. I guess it’s sold over 6 million copies… but I’d never even heard of it! It’s a sweet and interactive book and one we’ve read again and again to the babies in the few weeks we’ve had it.

What have you read recently? I’d love to hear! Tell us in the comments!

    
 

Brigette’s $98 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

My older sister, Brigette, shares her shopping trips and menu plans every week! You can go HERE to see all of her weekly menu plans and you can go HERE to read all about her family!

Aldi

1 3-lb bag frozen boneless Chicken Breasts – $5.19

2 cans Chicken Breast – $3.98

1 pkg Turkey Bacon – $1.89

1 pkg 73/27 fresh Ground Beef (5.48lbs), reduced – $8.71

1 16-oz pkg Deli Meat – $2.19

4 bags frozen Broccoli Florets – $3.56

1/2 gallon Unsweetened Almond Milk – $1.49

1 gallon 1% Milk – $1.27

1 gallon Whole Milk – $1.27

1 32-oz carton Half and Half – $1.55

1 16-oz carton Heavy Whipping Cream – $1.55

1 32-oz jar Ketchup – $0.99

1 jar Dijon Mustard – $0.85

1 tub Baking Cocoa – $1.19

1 can Parmesan Cheese – $1.99

1 pkg Deli Siced Cheese – $1.29

1 16-oz bag Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – $2.75

1 16-oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese – $2.75

1 24-oz Cottage Cheese – $1.59

1 box Cinnamon Crunch Squares – $1.19

1 large box Corn Flakes – $1.18

1 large canister Quick Oats – $1.99

1-lb box Butter Quarters – $1.99

1 jar Unsweetened Applesauce – $1.45

2 Avocados – $1.38

1 bag Mini Sweet Peppers – $1.99

1 Cauliflower – $1.99

1 Seedless Watermelon – $2.89

1 large tub Organic Spring Mix – $3.19

2 pkgs Romaine Hearts – $4.38

1 3-lb bag Lemons – $1.69

1 bunch Bananas ($0.38/lb) – $0.98

1 16-oz bag Mini Cucumbers – $1.09

1 pkg Broccoli Crowns – $1.79

4 cans Green Beans – $1.56

1 pint Grape Tomatoes – $1.09

2 large bags Red Grapes ($0.89/lb) – $3.97

1 Himalayan Salt Grinder – $1.59

1 Garlic Powder – $0.49

1 32-oz carton Egg Whites – $2.75

4 dozen Eggs – $2.20

4 single-serving sized Greek Yogurts – $2.36

1 pkg Hot Dog Buns, reduced – $0.25

1 pkg Hamburger Buns, reduced– $0.25

2 loaves Sandwich Bread – $1.34

Total: $92.67

Harris Teeter

6 ears Corn on the Cob – $2.00

2 jars Peanut Butter – $1.98

2 64-oz cartons Orange Juice – $1.98

Total: $5.96

Grocery Total for the Week: $98.63

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Everyone is responsible for making/cleaning up their own breakfasts. Choices include:

Cereal, Oatmeal, Fried/Scrambled/Boiled Eggs, Smoothies, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Veggie Omelets, Fruit

Lunches

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Bananas, Mini Sweet Peppers x 2

Deli Meat/Cheese Sandwiches, Watermelon, Cucumbers x 2

Tossed Salad Bar x 2

Leftovers

Dinners

Chicken Gravy over Rice, Steamed Broccoli, Grapes

Hamburgers, Corn on the Cob, Tossed Salad, Green Beans

Spaghetti alla Carbonara, Homemade French Bread, Cauliflower

Dinner at a Friend’s House (I’m bringing Tossed Salad)

Grilled Chicken, Tossed Salad, Roasted Parmesan Broccoli, Creamy Milk Rice

Meatloaf (I mix ground venison and ground beef), Baked Potatoes, Green Beans

Leftovers