Friday, April 7, 2017

How to Freeze Avocados and more...

Can you freeze avocados? I set out to answer that question a few weeks ago and here are my results! Y'all know I love me some clearance buys at Kroger. I mean, really, those yellow WOOHOO stickers make my heart […]

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

How to Freeze Avocados

Can you freeze avocados? I set out to answer that question a few weeks ago and here are my results!

Y’all know I love me some clearance buys at Kroger. I mean, really, those yellow WOOHOO stickers make my heart skip a little beat.

{I might have issues. Okay, let’s face it. I do have issues. But hey, this weirdness has saved us a LOT of money over the years and it has certainly helped to keep life interesting! ;)}

Our Kroger has a section for marked down produce and they have these red mesh bags that they fill with produce. Each bag is just $0.99. Sometimes, it will be a pretty sorry deal — like 3 half-rotten apples for $0.99 or 5 potatoes for $0.99. But oftentimes, there are some really amazing deals in these red mesh bags.

Case in point, a few weeks ago, I went to the store and saw an incredible deal on avocados. And by incredible, I really mean incredible.

They had bags of 6-7 avocados that were ripe (but not overripe) for just $0.99 per bag! I love avocados and I eat a LOT of them on the eating plan I’m on.

Right now, avocados are usually priced around $0.88 per avocado (I’ve seen them for as low as $0.25 to $0.30 each at ALDI, but that’s very rare) and I usually eat one avocado almost every single day.

So this was a BIG score for me! The only problem? I knew I couldn’t eat them all up before they went bad.

I remembered something I’d read somewhere online about freezing avocados, so I literally whipped out my phone in the middle of the store and googled, “Can you freeze avocados?”

{What did we do before the days when we could stand in the grocery store and have all of the internet at our finger tips??}

From what I found, it looked like it was worth the risk to attempt freezing them. There were six bags and I decided to play it safe and only buy 3 bags, just in case my experiment was a flop.

To freeze them, I pitted them, scooped out the insides, and then mashed those up and added some salsa and lime juice. I then stuck them in freezer bags, pressed them flat and put them in the freezer.

A week later, I thawed one out and it tasted great! I stored it in the fridge for a few days and ate some every day to see how it fared. I’d say that it’s best to use it the day you thaw it, though it was still fine a few days later — it was just a darker brown color and didn’t look too appetizing!

I opted to freeze my avocados with salsa and lime juice for flavoring because I usually eat my avocados with salsa. You could also add other seasonings, herbs, or flavorings to it — such as salt, cilantro, tomatoes, onions, or cayenne pepper. Onions and tomatoes can be a little on the iffy side to freeze, though, so you could also add those in fresh after you thaw the avocados.

You can also freeze avocados halved if you want to use them in smoothies.

Want more details? Watch my quick YouTube video to see how I made this! (Psst! Are you subscribed to my YouTube channel? If not, what are you waiting for? Go subscribe here so you never miss any of my new weekly videos!)

 

    
 

Brigette’s $50 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

We will be out-of-town 4 days this week (yay for Spring Break!), so I didn’t buy as much at the grocery store. I’ll be relying on our freezer stash of chicken and venison for the nights that we are here.

Aldi

2 cans Green Beans – $0.98

1 head Cauliflower – $2.29

1 3-lb bag Sweet Potatoes – $0.99

1 bag Sliced Pepperoni – $2.19

1 bag Romaine Hearts – $1.99

1 bag Mini Sweet Peppers – $2.79

1 can Parmesan Cheese – $2.29

1 64-oz carton Orange Juice – $1.69

1 pkg Artisan lettuce – $1.99

1 gallon Milk – $2.27

2 bags Baby Carrots – $1.98

1 1-lb pkg Sliced Turkey – $3.19

1 16-oz carton Heavy Whipping Cream – $1.89

1 pkg Zucchini – $2.49

1 dozen Eggs – $0.99

1 bunch Bananas (2.35lbs @ 0.44/lb) – $1.03

1 pint Grape Tomatoes – $1.89

1 bag Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips – $1.09

2 Avocados – $2.58

Total: $36.60

Harris Teeter

1 bag Steamable Fresh Broccoli, reduced – $1.00

1 bag Kale, reduced – $1.00

2 cans Carnation Evaporated Milk – $0.94

1 1-lb bag Mahatma Brown Rice – $1.00, used $0.50/1 Mahatma or Water Maid Rice, exp. 4/30/17 (RP 01/29/17 #2) (doubled) – FREE after coupon

2 5-lb bags Harris Teeter All-Purpose Flour – $1.94

1 jar Polaner All-Fruit Raspberry Jam – $2.00

5 8-oz bags Shredded Cheese – $6.58

Total: $13.46

Grocery Total for the Week: $50.06

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Scrambled Eggs and Toast (Veggie Omelets for me) x 2

Breakfast at Campout (provided)

Breakfast at Hotel (provided)

Cereal x 2

Oatmeal

Lunches

Sub Sandwiches, Carrots, Apples x 2

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, Mini Peppers and Grape Tomatoes, Chips x 2

Lunch Out

Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, Rice Casserole, Tossed Salad, Southern Biscuits

Dinner at Campout (provided)

Dinner at Hotel (Drury Inn – provided)

Upside Down Pizza (using pepperoni instead of hamburger), Kale Salad (I will leave the cilantro out)

Date Night (Kids will eat something simple at home while Eirik and I go out)

Venison Roast in the Crockpot, Roasted Carrots, Mashed Potatoes

Baked Chicken, Green Beans, Easy Whole Wheat Bread

    
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.