Friday, April 14, 2017

How to Cook Brown Rice in the Instant Pot and more...

I am more and more falling in love with my Instant Pot that I got during the amazing Black Friday sale when the 7-in-1 Instant Pot was marked down to just $69! I love that I can cook so many different things […]

Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

How to Cook Brown Rice in the Instant Pot

I am more and more falling in love with my Instant Pot that I got during the amazing Black Friday sale when the 7-in-1 Instant Pot was marked down to just $69!

I love that I can cook so many different things in it so quickly. I love that I can put the ingredients in it and set the timer and then just leave it — instead of having to watch the stove, wait for the water to boil, and/or make sure the water doesn't boil over.

It kind of feels like a slow cooker on steroids. You just dump the ingredients in, program the time, and leave it be to do it’s thing… while you get on with your life!

I've just barely scratched the surface of the world of Instant Pots and I am starting to clearly understand why people are such raving fans of this appliance! There's so much it can do — and it makes eating at home and getting dinner on the table so much easier!

There are many, many bloggers out there who are sharing incredible Instant Pot recipes. However, I knew there are some of you who haven't yet gotten your Instant Pot out of the box and you are feeling scared, just like I was when I first got mine.

So I thought it would be fun to share some very beginning Instant Pot recipes on my blog over the next few months as I learn how to use my Instant Pot. My hope is that these will inspire you to not let your Instant Pot sit in the box any longer! Get it out and start using it — you'll be so glad you did!

Instant Pots have a Rice button on them that you can use to cook white rice or basmati rice. However, we pretty much only use brown rice at our house, so that needs to cook quite a bit longer than white rice.

Here’s how to make brown rice in the Instant Pot:

If you want to serve the rice right away and don’t want to wait for the natural pressure release, here how to do that:

  • Let the rice cook for 22 minutes.
  • Once it is at zero on the countdown, wait 5 minutes to let the pressure naturally release.
  • Then, use an oven mitt to turn the vent lock to venting (so that it's open). VERY IMPORTANT: This will shoot out steam. A lot of hot steam. This is releasing the pressure. Make sure you have on an oven mitt. Make sure there isn't a cupboard or anything above your Instant Pot that all the steam is going to shoot up to. And KEEP YOUR FACE AND HANDS AWAY FROM THE VENT when you are turning it. It is HOT!
  • Let the steam fully release (the floating valve will drop down when it's released).
  • Open the lid and your rice is ready!

Okay, I know that sounds like a lot of steps. But trust me on this, after you've used your Instant Pot one time, it will be so much easier. I promise!

{Need some hand holding to make this recipe? Watch my video here.}

I put the brown rice in the Instant Pot to cook before I made dinner and then started dinner. I didn’t come back to it until about an hour and a half later. I took the lid off, let it cool, and then, once it was cooled, I scooped it out and put it into airtight freezer bags and froze it.

So easy! So simple! I love that I can just put the ingredients in the Instant Pot, turn it on, and leave it and then come back to it later. I don’t have to worry about it burning or boiling over or over-cooking. I don’t have to mess with watching for the water to boil or setting the timer and then turning down the burner.

More and more, I see why people are such big fans of this kitchen appliance!

Looking for another great beginner Instant Pot recipe? Check on my post on How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot.

    
 

Brigette’s $54 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan for 6

Aldi

1 gallon Whole Milk – $2.65

1 Cauliflower – $2.29

2 64-oz cartons Orange Juice – $3.38

1 8-oz tub White Mushrooms – $0.69

1 5-lb bag Yellow Potatoes – $1.49

1 5-lb pkg Ground Beef – $8.95

1 32-oz carton Half and Half – $1.79

1 3-lb bag Lemons – $2.49

2 cans Green Beans – $0.98

1 bag Mini Sweet Peppers – $2.79

1 3-lb bag Pink Lady Apples – $2.99

1 Pineapple – $0.79 (great price!)

1 16-oz bag Brussel Sprouts – $0.99

1 bag Baby Carrots – $0.49

1 pkg Zucchini – $2.49

1 Spicy Mustard – $0.99

1 bunch Bananas (2.37lbs @ $0.44/lb) – $1.04

1 bag Pea Crisps – $1.39

1 16-oz pkg Radishes – $0.99

1 bag Gluten-Free Pretzels – $1.89

1 pkg Hamburger Buns – $0.85

2 16-oz cartons Egg Whites – $3.88

2 dozen Eggs – $1.90

2 quarts Fresh-Picked Strawberries (gift from a friend)

Total: $48.18

Harris Teeter

2 boxes Ritz Crackers – $4.49, used $0.75/2 Nabisco Ritz Crackers – 4-9-17 SS (exp. 05/20/17) (doubled), plus receive $1.00/2 rebate from Checkout 51 – $1.99/2 boxes after coupon and rebate

1 Whipped Topping – $1.67

1 2-ct bag Avocados – $1.67

1 WeWalka Pizza Dough – $2.50, used $1/1 SS 4/9/17, plus receive $1.00 rebate from Checkout 51 – $0.50 after coupon and rebate

1 pkg Crab Classic – $1.49, plus receive $0.75 rebate from Ibotta – $0.74 after rebate

Total after coupons and rebates – $6.57

Grocery Total for the Week: $54.75

Weekly Menu Plan

Breakfasts

Oatmeal with Fruit x 2

Cereal x 2

Eggs and Toast x 3

Lunches

Cheese Pizza, Apples, Mini Peppers x 2

Crackers and Peanut Butter, Mini Peppers, Bananas

Veggie Omelets, Strawberries x 2

Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Hamburgers on the Grill, Roasted Cauliflower, Homemade Baked French Fries

Venison Roast in the Crockpot, Perfect Baked Potatoes, Carrots, Homemade Applesauce

Easter Dinner (at a friend’s house – I am bringing a Fruit Salad, Pecan Pie, and Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies)

Simple Baked Chicken Breasts, Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Creamy Milk Rice

Freezer Friendly Barbequed Meatballs, Twice-Baked Potatoes, Tossed Salad, and Biscuits

Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes, Scrambled Eggs and Cheese, Fruit Smoothies

Leftovers

    
 

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life

   

Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.