Sunday, January 14, 2024

Weekly Recap: Kierstyn's first week of preschool + all about my word for the year and Circadian Rhythms

Welcome to my weekly recap post where I share a little peek into our week, share some links to things I don’t want you to miss, and highlight some things you may not have seen on the blog this week. Kierstyn started preschool this week. She's going ...
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
Intentional finance. Intentional family. Intentional business.

Multicolored divider

Weekly Recap: Kierstyn’s first week of preschool + all about my word for the year and Circadian Rhythms

Welcome to my weekly recap post where I share a little peek into our week, share some links to things I don’t want you to miss, and highlight some things you may not have seen on the blog this week.

Kierstyn started preschool this week. She’s going four mornings a week to the little Classical school that Silas and Kaitlynn went to a few years ago. They have this amazing Montessori/Charlotte Mason preschool and we thought it’d be perfect for her to attend during my morning work time. And then we’re still homeschooling in the afternoons.

She has absolutely loved it and she gets up SO excited to go every morning. Plus, it’s been good to help us establish much better morning routines… which is having great impact on our whole family and our entire day!

If you’re interested in hearing more about our morning routine and preschool for Kierstyn, Jesse and I talked about it on last week’s podcast episode where we shared about 5 Significant Changes We’re Making for 2024.

Every year since 2016, I’ve chosen a word for the year. For me, this has been pretty life-transforming as this word serves as sort of my over-arching theme for the goals and hopes for the year. And it also is one that I refer back to again and again throughout the year as I make decisions and think through what to commit to and what to say no to.

In this week’s episode of the podcast, Jesse and I explore why I chose the word I did for 2024 and how I am intentionally seeking to live it out with the choices I make daily and the big and small goals I set for the year.

We talk about how this word isn’t just about physical choices, but how our physical choices can profoundly impact our mental and emotional state, as well. Jesse and I laugh about some of the weird things I’m trying as I live this word out — including red light, morning sunlight and walks in the cold, limiting screen time, minimizing artificial lights, learning about circadian rhythms, and cold showers (something I never, ever thought I’d try despite Jesse extolling the virtues and benefits of them for the past few years!)

In addition to diving into goal-setting and practical steps we’re taking to change our life in positive ways, we talk about the surprising need to child-proof our bath tub and toilet and devices we bought for this, plus a book I am reading.

Listen to the podcast episode here.

What We Ate & What We Bought at the Grocery Store Week: Instead of posting my menu plan and grocery purchases, since I often reverse meal plan, I thought I’d share with you what we ate this past week and then what we bought for this coming week. I don’t do a rigid meal plan most weeks; I usually just make sure we have enough on hand for 8-10 different dinners and then I plan that day what we’re having based upon the time I have and what sounds good. See what we ate and what we bought this past week here.

How to Cloth Diaper on the Cheap: “Why spend nearly $40 on a cloth diaper, when you can buy them on Amazon for less than $10? This is a good question and it’s a hard one to justify or even reason with as a cloth diaper podcaster.” Interested in cloth diapering? Read this week’s guest post here.

Jesse and I Celebrated our 21st Anniversary! — In honor of it, I shared 21 things I love about Jesse. See the list here.

Are You Signed Up for My Personal Email Newsletter?

Every Saturday morning, I send out a newsy personal letter from me sharing what books I’m reading (and very honest reviews of them!) products and resources I’m loving, what movies/shows we’re watching, plus insider news, thoughts, and recommendations I only share with my email subscribers. If you’re not subscribed, you are missing out!

   
 
Multicolored Divider