Saturday, July 4, 2015

Are You Throwing Money in the Trash?

 
Money Saving Mom

top banner_simplecanvasprint

Here's What's New
Are You Throwing Money in the Trash?

Photobucket

300x250-red

:: Are You Throwing Money in the Trash?

money-in-trash-can

Guest post from Asheritah of One Thing Alone

When my husband and I went minimalist, we quickly realized that our trash habits had to change too. With a little research and some planning, we saved over $684 - and lightened our carbon footprint.

Here's how you can too:

1. Sell old appliances and electronics ($100)

Our electric company pays $50 for refrigerators that still function, and offer reimbursements for energy-efficient replacements. And when our laptop crashed, we bought a new one and sold the dead computer for $50 online. Easy-peasy!

2. Reuse veggie scraps ($204)

I save all my veggie scraps and rotisserie chicken bones in the freezer and make crock-pot stock once a month. One batch equals $17 savings, and if I'm not planning on making soup that week, I simply freeze the stock for later use. The other scraps go into our compost.

3. Recycle aluminum, glass, and plastic ($68)

The average American drinks roughly 16 oz of soda a day (source), the equivalent of two aluminum cans or one plastic bottle. If those containers were recycled, a household of five could recover at least $68, if not more in certain states. You can also recycle wine corks, cooking oil, tennis balls, and golf balls for cash.

4. Drive scrap metal to a junkyard ($48)

When we remodeled our bathroom a few years ago, we took the old cast-iron tub to a junkyard and got $48 for something we were going to throw out anyway. Since then, we've also sold old wiring, aluminum house paneling, our old water heater, and other miscellaneous metals.

5. Get a tax deduction for clothing and furniture (varies)

The best way to get money for things around the house is to have a yard sale. But for those of us who just don't have that much to sell, donating items to thrift stores results in an easy tax deduction.

6. Sell books ($156)

You know those old college textbooks you've been hanging onto "in case you might want to refer back to them someday?" (Please tell me I'm not the only one.)

Five years after my graduation, I still hadn't opened the cover on a single one, and I decided they had to go. Some I listed on Amazon and others I sold in bulk for easy payments. I also sell books I receive from publishers to do video book reviews, so I get to read books and make some money off of them. Voila! More shelf space and more money.

7. Pay less for trash collection ($108)

As a result of our collective effort to throw out less stuff, we found our 120-gallon trash bin was nearly empty each week. I now pay only when I need a pickup. We went from paying $10/month to $2 every two months, and they pick up our recycling for free!

Have you tried any of these methods? How else do you throw away less trash and make more money?

Asheritah helps overwhelmed women find joy in Jesus on her blog and through her books. She likes giving away free stuff to encourage women in their walks with God.

make-over-your-mornings-468-60

You received this email because you are registered on www.moneysavingmom.com with the email address panatllc1.kate@blogger.com. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, you can easily unsubscribe here.
Money Saving Mom
2020 Fieldstone Parkway, Suite 900 #313
Franklin, TN 37069
© 2008-2015 Money Saving Mom, LLC. All rights reserved.