Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Different Kind of Easter Egg Hunt and more...

Money Saving Mom

Survey Spot

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode

Here's What's New

:: A Different Kind of Easter Egg Hunt

A-Different-Kind-of-Easter-Egg-Hunt-fillers

Want a fresh and creative idea for the usual Easter Egg Hunt? Head on over to Life as Mom to see how their family does it.

      

:: Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe (+ my Trim Healthy Mama version)

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.27.16 PM

Last Friday evening, a few of us gals stole away from the homeschool conference to spend the evening at Allison’s house. She served us delicious homemade mochas and the most amazing Flourless Chocolate Cake ever.

I’d heard rumblings of this cake recipe here and there on the internet, but I’d never actually tried it. And now that I have, I understand why everyone has raved about it.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.04.23 PM

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.04.07 PM

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.59 PM

It’s heavenly. And I knew I had to make it for my family because I was sure they’d love it, too.

However, you know me, I had to tweak the original recipe. :) I was determined to make it on plan with my Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, so I made a few changes.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.37 PMHere’s how I changed it up:

And, because you know that life doesn’t look all Pinterest-y and perfect at our house, here’s a peek into my real-life, baking session pictures:

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 1.49.29 PM

I was so proud of myself for coming up with this double boiler alternative. In fact, I even considered that I should do a post about making do with what you have when you don’t own a double boiler.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.01 PM

And, um, then I actually used said makeshift “double boiler”. Let me tell you, this is not a good idea. Water boiled out everywhere. Everywhere. Gratefully, it was just water or it would have been a huge mess!

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.09 PM

I made these right before dinner, so there was also a crock pot of meat sitting out plus some mashed sweet potatoes. And my computer balanced on the edge of the countertop so I could refer to the recipe.

{Now that I look at this picture and see how close my computer and phone were to the boiling over mess, it’s a miracle they didn’t get soaked. I can just see that Frugal Fail post… in an effort to make do without a double boiler, I ruin both my computer and my phone. Yes, I am very grateful they were spared!}

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.56 PM

This little guy was eager to help out!

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.35 PMScreen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.41 PM

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.29 PM

I realized that when you need to whisk 5 eggs in one at a time and you’re in the middle of helping kiddos with various things and answering questions and, yes, even breaking up one argument, it’s a good thing to keep the eggs in the carton and to start with a full carton. Otherwise, I would have lost track of how many I’d put in at least three different times!

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.02.15 PM

You mean you don’t have a sink full of dishes like this while you’re cooking??

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.03 PM

The aftermath. Yikes! I definitely wouldn’t win an award for being a Neat Cook!

Jesse was so kind to offer to clean up the kitchen after dinner. I went upstairs and laid down for a 10 minute nap… that ended up turning into a 3-hour nap! I woke up at midnight with my contacts still in and full makeup still on… whoops! Guess I was just a little bit tired!

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.13 PMScreen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.49 PMScreen Shot 2015-03-25 at 4.03.59 PM

The final product was a winner recipe. The kids loved it. I loved it. And — score! — Jesse loved it. I believe this might be my first Trim Healthy Mama dessert recipe that got rave reviews from everyone.

It was worth the double broiler overflow incident and the messy kitchen. Well, I’m not so sure on the messy kitchen part. You’d have to ask Jesse about that. I was sound asleep dreaming of chocolate or something else pleasant like that! :)

Have you tried any new recipes this week? Any winners I should try, too? Tell us in the comments!

      

Survey Spot

:: 25 Easy Crock Pot Recipes for Busy Week Nights

25-Easy-Crockpot-Recipes-For-Busy-Weeknights-vert

Kelly from New Leaf Wellness shows you how to make 25 Easy Crock Pot Recipes for Busy Week Nights.

      



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.